Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

river bottoms ???

stringleech

PMA Member
Im just curious as to how you guys approach the river bottoms during this time of the season. i know a few that are hot and i've sat on the top and watched countless bucks go down into the bottoms...i've always stayed out of the bottoms because of the wind swirls and not wanting to spook nothing..i've talked to a few guys in here in person about how they do them but curious as to any other tips on sitting in them. i really love doing the all day sit when things start getting hot but i dont know if thats possible..just curious as to how you guys play it.. i know a few of you guys hunt them...thanks in advance and good luck and be safe.

My favorite spot the whole season is a river bottom. Try to find a solid doe corridor and brushy area where the does should bed. Do your best to set up a ways downwind so when the bucks come to scent check the doe bed they won't be too worried about you. 2 of my biggest bucks have come from this spot and both were withing 20 minutes of noon so be ready and don't leave for lunch. Good luck:way:

That's a great question. River bottoms definitely produce action during the day in November but are horrible for swirling winds. What we do on my place is wait for the wind to be perfect for the stand and then hunt it.

Swirling winds are generally going to take place where there's ridges right next to them or you're talking about a ravine. On a flat field with large expanses of river bottoms- you should not have problems with swirling winds at all. So, the swirling winds depend on what types of situations you are in- again, where ridges are present right next to your spot.
I love river bottoms, I'd take river bottom ground over most other situations. One of the other side reasons I like river bottoms is the super fertile soil which I truly believe grow bigger deer where more top quality soil is present.
River bottoms are also easy to pin-point deer in my opinion. I like finding spots where the river funnels deer closer to a location and I can blow my wind over the river into a neutral area.
The trouble with river bottoms on SOME occasions is access... FLAT fields that are generally large fields, makes it difficult to enter/exit without busting deer. Hopefully you can find situations where fields are broke up OR you can slip in some timber that's closer to road (or back side so you don't walk through field) OR if it's a viable option- walking the river in can't be beat IF you're able. As long as it's not too high and filled with brush/damns, that has to be one of the best ways to access a stand period. Good luck, some monster bucks in those bottoms!

Gregg,

Like many others have said, the river bottoms are a risk/reward proposition. Tough winds but also a chance at big rewards. If you can access in the AM from the river with a diagonal cross wind, I think that's the best option (i.e. W-E river corridor hunt with a SE - SW - NE - NW wind). If it's tight on both sides like a deep bottom, the stand time can be limited to only a couple hrs sometimes as thermals can help but only for a short window of time. If it's a high ridge on one side and a flat bottom on the other, those are more huntable in my mind and try to get the winds blowing towards the flat bottom. They will roll over the ridges but they are inconsistent for the deer also and they may or may not wind you. Like I said, risk/reward. You may get winded but you may stick a PIG also.

River Bottoms

One thing I have always liked about river bottoms the fact that the bucks follow these river bottom corridors. All the pre season scouting witll not tell you what you might see. Some bucks travel several miles along the river searching for hot does.

thanks alot for the tips guys. nick and brent i will be there next week and really hope to meet up ....hopefully show off a Hogzilla....

Seriously though, find a spot that will keep a straight wind, find a pinch with sign in it and hold on.

I also am curious on how to hunt these. I see have seen deer enter them but the cover is so thick its hard to move without bumping deer. I usually set up on a ridge that runs west to east. The ridge is a north facing slope so when there is a south wind I have seen bucks scent checking the ridge tops for does. In fact I have watched bucks sit there for an hour or so until a doe came by.

I was thinking of trying to go in at mid day with a climber but I am sure Bucks are bedding down in the bottom.

Good Post.

SE_Hunter

This is a very good thread. I am going to be hunting some river bottoms that have a north facing slight ridge that leads up to CRP grass field. I've seen deer here every year I have been shotgun hunting.

River bottoms are also an excellent place to call during the rut if the wind is blowing your scent over the river. That way Mr. Big can't circle downwind of you and comes right to your stand.

All the river bottoms I have ever hunted are thick willow bottoms. The deer are rarely even in them in the mornings. They are typically up on the high ridges in the morning. What I look for is an area where there is a clearing or small grassy field in the middle of the bottom. It seems every deer in the block will jump into these to travel easier through the jungle Naturally funnels etc or the big ridges leading into the bottom can be good but I have had my best bet in these small areas where the willows didn't really grow.

The trees in these areas suck so some times you may not get very high but if you brush in your tree well you can do pretty good.

I really have had no luck hunting river bottoms in the evenings. It seems they just jet out everywhere heading up the big ridges towards the fields. I have had my best luck hunting these spots where they come up out of the bottom and head up the ridges.

If you try to walk into the river bottom for an evening hunt you typically will blow everything out of there. All it takes is one or two deer spooking and it is like a domino effect of deer running through the bottoms.

Typically I don't even start seeing deer till at least an hour after light and typically my best time frames are from 9 to 11:30.

Goodluck

I hear you on the willows. They are so thick it is impossible to walk through them.

I was talking to another hunter and he mentioned that river bottoms were great places to hunt the first day of gun season. All of the deer tend to run to the thickest cover around. I hunt both gun, bow and I am thinking of getting a muzzle loader to reach out and touch something.

I just enjoy bow hunting so much I haven't been able to bring myself to get the muzzle loader yet.

One year, early season I walked what seemed like two miles down into the bottom. I found a tree by an area cleared for power lines. I used my summit climber and went up a tree. 15 minutes later I see a huge buck coming down the trail. I am only 15 yards off the trail and only about 10 feet up in the air. I knew the buck would see me so I came to full draw. When he was 20 yards away I let the arrow fly, and made the perfect shot in the center of a tree.

My arrow was stuck in that tree for about 5 years. :(

At least it was a learning experience.

Thanks for sharing the info. I have read this site for years. I downloaded the android app and now I am checking it all the time.

SE_Hunter

Top Bottom