Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Rub-Tree size

Trapshooter1

Can you judge roughly how big the rack size of a deer is on how big of a tree that the deer rubbed?? Thoughts?? And experiences??

I've always kinda wondered about this.

Based of my limited experience, I would say yes and no. If you see a rub on a little tree it doesn't necessarily mean a little buck made it. I've seen forkies rub on some big ole cedars too. If you see a cedar the size of your thigh that is absolutely shredded, it probably wasn't done by a spike but it might not have been shredded by a 190 either.

I doubt I have any 170-190 class deer on the properties I hunt. But I have multiple 3-4 inch trees tore up pretty good, on one of the properties I leave for late season. (Just hung some trail cameras on this property) trying to take inventory of what is on the property. Now 130-150 maybe would be realistic for this property.

I have a cam set up over a cluster of trees that gets shredded every year. The biggest being about 6" diameter. Many different bucks hit it. This year I was surprised to see the biggest buck working it thus far was only about 120", when usually I have at least one 150" or better deer in previous years.
Also it is worth mentioning that even yearlings give it a try, although I don't think they actually contribute to the rub much if at all. Set up a cam next year if its an annual rub and you will certainly know for sure.

I watched a fork horn work over a good 6-7 inch diameter cedar this year for 15 minutes. He actually made it look like a big fresh rub. When you find a hard woods tree shredded high off the ground with huge gouge marks in it I start to get excited. Could be anything but the mind does start to wander.

I think I get more excited when i start finding 1.5 diameter trees snapped in half. Takes some power to do that.

3 weeks ago I saw a 1 1/2 yr old 7pt rubbing on a highline pole. He couldn't get his rack around the pole so he was just rubbing the tips of antlers. He spent at least 3-4 minutes working on that pole.

In my experience the height of a rub tells you more than the size of the tree. I would be more excited about a rub that is above my waist than one on a 6" diameter tree. High rubs are made by bigger deer.

Top Bottom