Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Ruined my KS season before it started!

lazy_turtle

Just here to complain. Haha.

This is my first year hunting as a KS resident, so I should have done more research. I live in eastern KS, and planned to hunt whitetails here the entire archery season. But, my in-laws have some land with muleys (rare) in western KS, so I put in to get drawn for a rifle any sex/any species tag. I'm realizing that I will only be able to hunt the 10 day rifle season in western KS. I was under the impression that could buy as many tags as you want, but only tag one of them.

So yeah... I only get to hunt 10 days this year for the unlikely mule deer to show up. Unless I just shoot some does.

Oh no!!!!!
Can u shoot a whitetail with that tag?!?
Ouch!!!!!!
No other “loopholes” like party tags or city hunts or applying to hunt on a military base or anything?!?

Has the season started yet?

In iowa you can turn your tag in and "cancel" it as long as the season hasn't started yet.

Oh no!!!!!
Can u shoot a whitetail with that tag?!?
Ouch!!!!!!
No other “loopholes” like party tags or city hunts or applying to hunt on a military base or anything?!?

That's what I'm working on trying to find out. Looking like no at the moment.

My current tag is either species/either sex. So I could kill a whitetail, but only during that 10-12 day rifle season and only in western KS.

In iowa you can turn your tag in and "cancel" it as long as the season hasn't started yet.

Bow season started yesterday. I called KDWP, and they said that I couldn't cancel my tag. But I may try again...

Does that Iowa situation apply for draw tags too? I would be doubtful because once you are drawn, someone else did not get drawn. I'm guessing that will be the basis for being rejected in KS

No good answer here BUT this is where MY MIND goes…. 10-12 days…. I’d be ALL IN!!! I’d spend all my time that I would be bow hunting finding countless places to hunt. Like “tons”. I’d have dozens of farms & endless set ups. Spend “weeks” dialing in premo locations & set ups. Then… when that 10-12 day period hit… I’d pry get out few days in advance - glass things & id hunt every single day of that 10-12 days. ALL IN!!!!
& my free days around “home”…. I’d still just go sit in a tree and learn. Secure more spots. Get things honed in for ‘24.

No good answer here BUT this is where MY MIND goes…. 10-12 days…. I’d be ALL IN!!! I’d spend all my time that I would be bow hunting finding countless places to hunt. Like “tons”. I’d have dozens of farms & endless set ups. Spend “weeks” dialing in premo locations & set ups. Then… when that 10-12 day period hit… I’d pry get out few days in advance - glass things & id hunt every single day of that 10-12 days. ALL IN!!!!
& my free days around “home”…. I’d still just go sit in a tree and learn. Secure more spots. Get things honed in for ‘24.

+1. Make lemonade from those lemons.. ;)

Hoping to do as much as I can! I’m roughly 5 hours from the closest unit that I can hunt, so it will be a challenge. I’ve never hunted in western KS before, so I have lots of learning to do.

I do have my in-laws scouting in the meantime!

Hoping to do as much as I can! I’m roughly 5 hours from the closest unit that I can hunt, so it will be a challenge. I’ve never hunted in western KS before, so I have lots of learning to do.

I do have my in-laws scouting in the meantime!
Put em' to work! :p

Just here to complain. Haha.

This is my first year hunting as a KS resident, so I should have done more research. I live in eastern KS, and planned to hunt whitetails here the entire archery season. But, my in-laws have some land with muleys (rare) in western KS, so I put in to get drawn for a rifle any sex/any species tag. I'm realizing that I will only be able to hunt the 10 day rifle season in western KS. I was under the impression that could buy as many tags as you want, but only tag one of them.

So yeah... I only get to hunt 10 days this year for the unlikely mule deer to show up. Unless I just shoot some does.
I suggest you call (KDWP) when a person answers politely ask them to give you someone in game management so that you will get a (correct) answer, and not a answer from a receptionist. Another thing you might want to do is pick up a game regs pamphlet and read it from front page to back page. Goodluck hunting. And if you do try for Muley's I'd like to know how you do and a pic if you score. I was thinking about chking into Muley's in Western Kansas, havent yet. Don't even know if they have out of state tags for Muley's. Good Luck hunting!

If they have resident tags, they surely have NR tags. Probably even more of em than resident tags at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d spend some of your free time in-season scouting where you’re going to be bowhunting next year. If you’re brand new to the area, it’s going to take a while to figure things out, but in-season scouting with nothing to lose will allow you to push deeper than normal and figure things out. If you jump a good buck early season, you may have found a good spot that you can use every year.

I have a public piece that I’ve never been to before this year. I’ve made 2 pre-season trips to get the lay of the land, and plan to make a couple trips in-season all with the hopes of setting myself up for next year. Nothing kills big bucks like information and persistence, both of which are built from preparation.

Top Bottom