Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Rules Meeting for Dove Hunting

blake

Life Member
NEWS:

From the Iowa DNR:

May 24 Meeting to Discuss Rules for Dove Hunting Season

DES MOINES - The Iowa Department of Natural Resources has scheduled a public hearing on May 24 to discuss a proposed amendment that adds a mourning dove hunting season. The proposed dove hunting rules are included in the season information covering common snipe, Virginia rail and sora, woodcock and ruffed grouse.

The proposed mourning dove season would begin Sept. 1 and continue for 70 consecutive days. Proposed shooting hours would be from one half hour before sunrise to sunset each day. The daily bag limit would be 15 and possession limit would be 30. The entire state would be open to the hunting season.

Hunters will be required to have a plug in their gun that limits them to three shots.

The Eurasian collard dove or white-winged dove would not be included in the season unless the rule is amended. Currently, a migratory bird stamp is not required to hunt mourning doves in Iowa. Non-toxic shot requirement will apply on areas currently listed as non-toxic shot only.

The public hearing will begin at 1 p.m., May 24, in the auditorium on the second floor of the Wallace State Office Building in Des Moines. At the public hearing, persons may present their views either orally or in writing. Participants will be asked to give their names and addresses for the record and to confine their remarks to the proposal.

Any persons who intend to attend the public hearing and have special requirements such as those related to hearing or mobility impairments should contact the Department of Natural Resources and request specific accommodations.

Any interested person may make written suggestions or comments on the proposed amendment on or before May 24, 2011. Written comments may be directed to Wildlife Bureau Chief, Wallace State Office Building, 502 E. 9th Street, Des Moines, Iowa 50319-0034; by email at wildlife@dnr.iowa.gov; or by fax at 515-281-6794.

Persons who wish to convey their comments orally may contact the wildlife Bureau by phone at 515- 281-5034 or by visiting the fourth floor of the Wallace State Office Building during regular business hours.

Last edited:
Hmm... The 3 shot thing kind of blows.. the only time ill go dove hunting is when one flies out while pheasant hunting... Sooo.... how are they going to segregate pheasant hunters and dove hunters? Will it be illegal to have both pheasants and doves in your possession unless you have a plug in the gun?

plug deal sounds like a b.s. deal thrown in to the "bird lovers" to prove that hunters won't decimate the population. do any other state require the plug?

Hmm... The 3 shot thing kind of blows.. the only time ill go dove hunting is when one flies out while pheasant hunting... Sooo.... how are they going to segregate pheasant hunters and dove hunters? Will it be illegal to have both pheasants and doves in your possession unless you have a plug in the gun?
A buddy and I started the day duck hunting once, plugs in. Mid-morning we decided to do a little pheasant hunting, pulled the plugs. We ran into a DNR checkpoint, showed them a couple of ducks, a rabbit and some pheasants. They asked if we had plugs in, we said no, took them out when we were done with duck hunting. They shook their heads and said we needed to keep the plugs in while possessing waterfowl. They watched us put them back in and lucky for us, they used it as a teaching event and didn't write us up.

I haven't read or heard anything about it, so I assume that we are going to be able to use lead shot and won't have to use steel?
Seems strange that many of us will be sitting over a small pond where we very well may be shooting ducks at some point of the season (with steel of course), yet we don't have to use steel for doves.
Definitely not complaining, just seems odd....like many laws do!

If you're waterfowl hunting at the same time, you can't have lead in your possession. I shoot doves in IL during the early goose season, while also goose hunting. I use steel 7's. They suck and it's hard to kill anything with them, but you can't have lead in your possession if you are waterfowl hunting.

The 3 shell rule is because they are a federally regulated migratory bird.

the three shot thing is such a crock, you have a limit of birds you can kill whats the difference if you shoot all 4 mallards in one flock or spread it out through several.

hotshott2289 said:
the three shot thing is such a crock, you have a limit of birds you can kill whats the difference if you shoot all 4 mallards in one flock or spread it out through several.

Seriously?

umm yeah?? how is it not a stupid law. I can shoot four mallards but can only have three shots, how does that make sense? its like only being able to use one rod when fishing in some states, dumb pointless laws.

Hunting isn't just about filling your quota. At some point the line has to be drawn to where the game has a sporting chance. Just because I have a deer tag, doesn't mean I should be allowed to use a rifle to fill it. If you can identify and kill 3 mallards with 3 shots and still have time for a good 4th shot, you are a better shot than 90% of the people hunting.

hotshott2289 said:
umm yeah?? how is it not a stupid law. I can shoot four mallards but can only have three shots, how does that make sense? its like only being able to use one rod when fishing in some states, dumb pointless laws.

Its not to spread out the kills over flocks, it's to keep people from taking too many "pot shots" after they miss. It's an attempt to limit cripples. You have to realize that your superior shooting skills are the exception.

Its not to spread out the kills over flocks, it's to keep people from taking too many "pot shots" after they miss. It's an attempt to limit cripples. You have to realize that your superior shooting skills are the exception.
Thanks for your brilliant insight. I never said my marksmanship skills were out of this world but i have spent considerable time chasing waterfowl and i know having a 4th shot would come in handy quite a bit, because 1) you can finish off cripples quickly that are down on the water, 2) if you have birds piling into your setup you can easily have 4 good shots in a killing distance. 3) if youve spent any time on public waters you'd know that three shots doesn't limit the pot shots some people take at birds, it should be my responsibility as an ethical hunter to be aware of what is or is not an ethical shot.

I think the 3 shot rule will be fine since there is about 12 doves total in Iowa. Now if all 12 flew by at once I guess I could see where 5 shots wouldn't be so bad. :) Hmm I wonder if my moms bird feeder is considered baiting.....

On a side note.. is anyone really considering hunting doves, I'm not really looking to chase them and mess farms up a month before bow season

Top Bottom