Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Run From that Cougar

blake

Life Member
cougar_01tfk.jpg

NEWS:

Study Shows Fleeing Cougar Attacks Is Wiser

4/14/2009

Should you stand and fight an attacking cougar or run from it? To this point most authorities have recommended standing your ground, but a recent study suggests running from one of the big cats may be wiser.

The study completed last week at the University of California—Davis suggests that standing your ground against a threatening mountain lion may land you in more danger than heading for the hills.

"Even though we found evidence that pumas will indeed chase, and capture, people who run, we also found that people who stand still are possibly more endangered," said the study's lead author, psychology professor Richard Coss, an expert on the evolution of predator-prey relationships. "Immobility may be interpreted by the mountain lion as a sign that you are vulnerable prey, either because you are unaware of its presence, or because you are disabled and not capable of escaping."

Most wildlife departments do not recommend running from the wild cats, but standing your ground.

Coss found that running may be a better option, after reviewing the types of activities victims of an attack were involved in before the attack, according to a UC—Davis news release.

The study reviewed 185 cases of mountain lion attacks on people from 1890 to 2000.

Last edited:
Should you stand and fight an attacking cougar or run from it? To this point most authorities have recommended standing your ground, but a recent study suggests running from one of the big cats may be wiser.

"Immobility may be interpreted by the mountain lion as a sign that you are vulnerable prey, either because you are unaware of its presence, or because you are disabled and not capable of escaping."

This just blow my mind. Every watched a house cat with a mouse? Let it go and run it down and bat it around repeatedly.

Pretty sure I'd run straight at it and make it think it's on my menu. Never seen a cat stick around when it's challenged. Bring it on.

They can say all they want, but cats are ambush predators and running will probably not trigger the cats flight instinct. I would try to look as big as possible and not back down. They like to go for the neck so I do not see how running away would make it harder for them to attack since that is what they are used to doing in the first place.

That is why you should alaways travel with someone slower than you...it often times is your best defense.

For me they have always ran off when you yell a bit. Then for good measure when their hightailin it to the next ridge yell "Keep runnin ya big pussy!!"

Top Bottom