Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Rut Action/Movement Reports

I was off last week hunting. This was the best buck past the stand (picture taken right after he went by me, freshened a scrape twice at 10 yards from my tree within 10 minutes). He was also on that camera early in the morning, so he stayed in the area all day. I went into season with a lot of self imposed restrictions on how I was going to hunt and what I was willing to fling an arrow at. Had to be my best buck ever or a freak, well, neither happened. Everything else past the stand was does and yearlings. Think I have the market cornered on button bucks. They are the future. ;)

Attachments

• Nov 5 2022 (2).jpg
    Nov 5 2022 (2).jpg
    291.7 KB · Views: 58
I sat Saturday morning and Sunday evening. All does, fawns and bucks not older than 2 1/2. I have yet to ay eyes on a mature buck. I have night time pics of several, but from midnight to 3am. Kind of a weird rut at my place. I will say though, last year the later it got in the season, the bigger the deer on cams. I'm far from throwing in the towel, but hope it picks up some.

I have been working this week but planning to take tomorrow off to hunt. Hoping the lockdown situation has gotten much better since last week/weekend. Are you all seeing mature deer searching now or they still paired up with does?

I didn’t get to hunt tonight. Drove around my area & probably still will until dark. Bucks ALL OVER. & old bucks. Wow would it have been a great night to sit!!!!

*random pic from today. This deer may be gay, lil flamboyant for sure
1ce6ce35519173c14a401307ca17627f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Had the buck I'm after coming straight down the hill tonight at 5pm. 50 yards he either saw or smelled something he didn't like, turned and walked back up. Back to the drawing board I guess. Saw two other good bucks this morning, all were alone. Sure felt brisk with 5 degree wind chill!

My son took a friend out this morning at our place and at least one buck was up walking around all by himself...until he took an arrow that is. He is one of those older bucks that is modest in the antler category. We know him to be 5 years old.

Attachments

• 690562367.jpg
    690562367.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 946B5F45-.jpg
    946B5F45-.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 47
Was out yesterday afternoon and was the first sit where I saw no movement at all.

What type of area hunting? Food nearby? That’s wild there’s no action.
My rut strategy has been great access timber in am near bedding or travel areas and closer to food in PM. Had a few sits where i picked the “wrong spot” & it was dead. Other times where picked right and it was bananas. Crazy the spectrum of awful to amazing depending on where sit.

While driving today in Mills County today i saw 4 bucks (all about 150) cruising open fields (one hot on a doe) between 11 - 2. Sat this evening and only saw a handful of does.

Friday afternoon saw 7 deer from 1.30 to 2.30. A Button and young 10 pt feeding in a food plot for 20 minutes. Then a mature shooter chased a doe across the plot with two more bucks in tow. Then 4.30 to dark had 7 does and fawns on the plot unmolested.

What type of area hunting? Food nearby? That’s wild there’s no action.
My rut strategy has been great access timber in am near bedding or travel areas and closer to food in PM. Had a few sits where i picked the “wrong spot” & it was dead. Other times where picked right and it was bananas. Crazy the spectrum of awful to amazing depending on where sit.

Was strange to see no movement at this stand. As far as food, they just picked the corn in the past week that neighbor's this property.

Did a sit yesterday afternoon and saw a doe with two fawns, several other does moving through the area and a couple of 2 1/2 year old bucks cruse through along with several younger bucks.

I saw a mature buck following closely behind 5 does/fawns on Sat and on Sunday. Does came out like clockwork 20-30 min before dark and the buck followed them. Both days same pattern. Boone County Public.

Top Bottom