Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Rut progress

J

jason

From the area I hunt, it seems the rut is about a month away. Things are really slow. I hunted all day friday, only seeing two deer. And I just got home from the timber only seeing two deer a gain. The smaller bucks I saw showed no sings of rutting, and neither did the does. I'm very dissapointed by the hours I'm putting in the stand to the out comes of the hunts. With the full moon, (hunters moon, the colder weather, and the rut starting any time you would think the deer would be going crazy. I was just wondering if any of your guys are seeing any rutting activity yet?
I should of just got a fall turkey tag this year.
confused.gif

jason

well, i have a place that's relatively "deep timber" and during the rut it just dies. funnels, narrow areas of timber, thick stuff, etc is where i find my bucks this time of year. generally the place where i hunt you can see either a field or substantial opening everywhere. good luck.

Hey guys...I start vac. on Monday and that will be my first chance to hunt this year. I too was wondering what everyones been seeing...Nug

I was watching small bucks chasing does this morning. I am also on vacation for the next 2 wks. What away to spend vacation!

The rut is on now from what i have seen today.2 nice bucks tracking doe's.
First one i sould of had if i had used my old noggin.Saw a doe streek by about 100 yards ahead of me.I sit tight hoping she would come my way,sould have know 5 minutes later a big feller would come along and he did.Trouble was i was still a 100 yards away.
frown.gif

I tried to call him with the doe bleat can but he had a real one on the line and he wasnt paying me no mind,i even tried to get around him,made plenty of noise on walking on the leaves but he didnt pay me no mind.He just keep tracking the doe at a steady pace untill he was out of sight.
Later on i moved out close to the field and there was another decent buck with his head about 3 foot off the ground keeping a steady pace,doing his tracking bit.
The rut is a good time to see big bucks but it is also fruststraighting because that doe seeems to run silly nilly around not always sticking to the regular trails.
Thats why once the rut starts i abandon the tree stands untill the weekend before thanksgiving,by then things have setteld back down for the most part.I hunt on the ground by stalking slowly and siten a spell and then moving a little bit more.
This may sound different to some but it has paid off sometimes.
If you see a doe moving fast get over to were she went bye this time of year because she just might be running from the local bruisher.Its hard to get to that spot if you have to climb out of a tree,and by then he will already been through.
doah.gif

Really i can only take about 2 hours in a tree stand without going nuts.
grin.gif

Have been working the last few days but earlier in the week I saw a lot of small young bucks. They were all looking for does. I only saw one ear wide 8. I saw another decent buck with a doe. It seems as if the does are with the bigger bucks already and only the little guys are looking.

Tonight I talked to my dad and he witnessed a buck breed a doe in the woods. I have heard multiple reports of bucks with does out in the open - which could be why the timber action is slowing down. Usually during peak rut the timber dies down and then the activity will pick up again. I always have to be out because you never know when he will come by.

Yesterday I watched two little froky buck chase a doe all over. Then out ofd the woods came what wood have been a nice 10 pt three pts on one side and one on the other were broke off he chased the two little guys off and chased the doe around for while. Then he spotted a couple of does in the wood stuck his nose up in the air and hauled ass after them. Im sure Ive seen this buck the last two years with most of his points broke off. I guess he has weak antlers or hes a real bad ass.
I also seen a buck trailing a doe on a fenceline about 11:45 in the morning. I think the ruts going pretty good around here.

I have been seeing a lot of chasing the last couple days. Friday morning I saw 6 seperate bucks checking trails or harrassing does. The biggest, an 11 pointer, took an arrow as he was nudging a doe and fell within sight. I got video of two chases last night. Good luck.

From what I've been seeing the rut is on! Seeing lots of bucks seeking and running does. I've seen several mature bucks in the middle of picked fields in the middle of the day with does.

I've hunted the evening of the 9th, morning of the 10th and evening of the 11th. The first night 8 different bucks, next morning 15 buck sightings at least 13 were different bucks!
bigshock.gif
At one time I had 4 around me. The next night 5 different bucks. There all either chasing or looking. This is the best action I have ever seen. I'm hoping this isn't the peak yet!
grin.gif

Top Bottom