Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Rye Questions

So I just bought a new place and its in alfalfa now, but needs to be tilled and planted into crop for a couple years before I need the hay again. While doing this I want to manage it for my deer herd the best I can, but be economical with the practices I choose.

So here is my plan: Till alfalfa under and plant to corn next spring early if possible. Allowing me to seed rye in following corn harvest. For deer and soil.
Question #1: Is there anyway to harvest this rye in a way that I can sell it or use it for my livestock the following spring?

From here I would then seed it down to soybeans following harvest/kill of the rye. Following the harvest of soybeans I would seed some of it down to turnips and such for deer. The following year (year 3) I would seed back to alfalfa due to my other field currently in alfalfa being at the end of production.

Question #2: Is this even a good idea or just a complete waste of my time??

I'm no farmer by a long shot, but I dont know if you will have enough growing time after you harvest your corn and beans....unless you plan on picking them really early. Some other guys will know for sure.

Plenty of time to pick corn and seed rye in the fall. Most around here will let the rye get closer to maturity (late may early June) and cut and bale the rye, then drill soybeans into after. Most years it work somewhat OK, this past year it didn't work worth a crap. Really need moisture for beans following rye.

Top Bottom