Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Sabots

203ntyp

PMA Member
What the best sabot for a riffled barrel 12 gauge shot gun for those who have experience with them? I used to shoot Federal Premiums but am having a hard time finding them.

I was also wondering what bullet everyone uses that shoots a flintlock muzzle loader, I used to use pre-lubed lead maxi-balls but was wondering what else works well?

I've found that Remington Premier copper sabots shoots very nearly the same as the Federals. Might not in your gun, but they do in mine. Albeit a bit pricey, usually not hard to find.

[/I was also wondering what bullet everyone uses that shoots a flintlock muzzle loader, I used to use pre-lubed lead maxi-balls but was wondering what else works well?QUOTE]

Round ball will kill anything in North america. No need for anything larger in a traditional flint muzzleloader. I do have a Kodiak double in .50 that likes 460 grain Great Plains bullets though, but that bullet is no longer made and when my supply is gone, it will be sighted in for round balls.

I use Winchester SuperX sabots in my Savage 12 ga. Started with Winchester Supremes, but the SuperX seemed to shoot just as well and were cheaper. Tried SST and Brenneke KOs once, but they didn't seem to shoot any better for me. I think I have a box of Remington Accutips, but I've never got around to trying them out.

My grandpa used to use whatever cheap Winchester rifled slugs he could find in his 1100 with rifled barrel. Never had any issues and was pretty accurate.

What the best sabot for a riffled barrel 12 gauge shot gun for those who have experience with them? I used to shoot Federal Premiums but am having a hard time finding them.

I was also wondering what bullet everyone uses that shoots a flintlock muzzle loader, I used to use pre-lubed lead maxi-balls but was wondering what else works well?

Shoot what ever your gun shoots the best......;)

Slug guns are just like rifles.....you can take two 870's that came off the assembly line and one might like accutips, while the other might like federal trophy coppers.

The best way to know what shoots the best out of your gun, is to purchase a few different types and hit the range.

With that said, I will never shoot Hornady's.....I've heard too many stories, and experienced them fragmenting. (btw-you want your bullet to retain as much weight as possible)

I personally shoot Federal Trophy Coppers. Every one I have shot at a deer has put them down, and each bullet recovered had practically 100% weight retention. They hit like a mac truck and did some extreme internal damage from the shock.

Federal Barnes expander 2 3/4" P152xs shoot great in my browning gold 12 gauge slug gun.
Hornady 2 3/4" SST's shoot great out of my browning gold 20 gauge slug gun and H&R 20 gauge single shot. It took me a while and some money to find out what Sabots shot best out of each gun. But once I figured it out, all I buy now are those 2 different slugs and the annual expense is minor now.
My advice for you is to buy a box of your top 3 to 5 different slugs (2 3/4" and 3") and shoot them to see what groups the best out of your individual gun and go from their.

The Remington accutips are amazing out of my savage 220. My dad's 11-87 12 guage likes Remington copper solids and lightfields. I suspect the accutips would do great as well. I tried federal sabots that were like barnes out of my 220 but shot terrible.

Top Bottom