Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Sad story.

lefler168

Just yesterday i got a call from my friend Chris Dunkin at about 7:30am while i was still sleeping...The call was one that i wished i had never woke up to..he said he was on his way in to school when the car in front of him absolutly demolished a 160 class 10pt crossing the highway right next to my hunting ground. At first it was hard to believe but i got out of bed got ready and met him out there. The guy that hit the buck was ok and decided that he didn't want the deer.. so we had the dnr write us a salvage tag for the buck. I dont have a picture uploaded yet of the deer but i will asap...However the buck was unusually similar to the buck that i shot 2 years ago...if any of you are familiar with that deer...the genetic makeup and characteristics were all the same...the only difference being about one year in age and about 11 inches overall....anyway its depressing to see such a great buck go the way he did...but on the other hand at least we gained possession of this awsome deer...hope there are more like it out there.

I'm sorry, but sad would have been if the guy got killed. It's not sad that a deer got killed by a car. I think you are just sad you just didn't get a chance to take the animal. The outcome would have been the same whether you killed it or a car, a dead deer. How do you classify one any "sadder than the other?

I thought the same thing when I read the story. When you get older you will realize the "the call you hope never to get" will envolve something a little more serious than a road kill deer.

I think you mis-understood the point...obviously the single most important thing is that the person who hit the deer is alright...i stated that in the story...what i am saying..and i would assume most would agree, is that you hate to see a deer like that go after being hit by a car..for both parties...first off you never want to here about someone hitting a deer with there car due to the danger that it presents..and most hunters would much rather have a chance to hunt and get the opportunity to harvest the deer..sorry for the misunderstanding

I guess one good thing out of this is, you know that it is dead
smile.gif
so now you don't have to waste your time hunting a buck that isn't there, that a poacher could of easily shot, and nobody would even know about it
frown.gif
plus it isn't a bad perk you got the rack at least
smile.gif

I've lost 4 good friends and im only age 16. 2 to suicide 1 to a hunting accident and 1 to leukemia(sp?). Things could be a lot worse. But i know you didnt mean it as seriously as it sounds. Hey id be bummed too. Hey go out there and shoot a 180" with double drop tines. Dont mess with the 160's:) Just member belive it or not there are one or two things more important than whitetails.
smile.gif

Ouch, sorry to hear that Gundog, that's gotta be tough, I hope you are handling that ok.

Good luck this season.

life goes on, just gotta realize that things happen but you gotta look forward. Hunting season helps to releive stress and guilt or whatever. Hunting season is what i look forward to anyways.

I'm Chris Dunkin, and I was the one who called Blake. I personally think that quackmaster and Greendeem just need to lighten up a little bit.

Quackmaster- First of all, the first thing that I did was make sure the driver of the car was alright. Second, you say that it is not any "sadder" for a deer to get hit by a car then a hunter, I think you are way wrong on that one. I would be much happier to shoot a monster deer that I have been hunting then to have it get hit by a car and die like that. I would be very happy with a 160 class buck. And I think it's sad that he was hit by a car because a lot of hardwork and dedication has been put into harvesting an animal of that caliber.

Greendeem- Just because we arn't as old as you doesn't mean we don't knkow the meaning of a call we never want to get! As a matter of fact I recieved a call like that just a couple of months ago about my grandfather passing away. It seems as if you are stereotyping someone because they are younger then you. So dont' give us that crap of "maybe when you get older." I am old feel the pain of a call I would never like to get. I think you knew what Lefler168 meant when he said it too, you are just trying to cause drama.

Thanks for the help dunkin...you covered everything that needed to be said....FOR ANYONE VIEWING THIS POST..HOPEFULLY BY NEXT WEEK I WILL HAVE A PICTURE OF THIS BUCK POSTED..

Also i hope that "gremlin" and "quackmaster" understand the position that we are coming from.

WOW.... did this topic get blown out of proportion, or what? i understood lefler, hate to hear something like that.

i had it happen to me 3 years ago on a 200 inch NT. hunted hard the year before with 3 sightings but he never was close enough, had a ambush planned the following year thanks to some great early season scouting and decent video footage, i was 100% sure i was going to take him. and then BAM 3 days before bow season while helping my brother-in-law relocate his stand we got back in the truck, drove about half a mile up the road and there he was laying in front of a '78 ford pick-up. the man who hit the buck was a very avid hunter and kept the buck for himself.

man...hate to hear somthing like that...especially on a deer in the 200 range...bet you were bummed...its nice to know that someone out there feels the same way i do! thanks for the support.

Hey i saw a deer with the rack cut off just lying by the road last night. it made my stomach turn.

I hate driving this time of year. I've got to go from DesMoines to Dubuque tonite after work for a wedding.

The following weekend I have to move my sister from Dubuque to Chicago (I don't even want to have any UHAUL vs. Deer incidents).

But, I guess I better throw in the bone-saw, I could always use a pair of rattling antlers.

sure hope you don't have to use the saw this weekend...kinda feel sorry for ya cuz your not gonna get a lot of huntin' time in this weekend...

sorry that i am so late on getting this picture uploaded....this was the buck hit on the highway that i was talking about in this post...

1421Shoulda_been-med.jpg

Here is another pic of this buck....we scored him at a net of 158 3/8, without the opposite browtine that was broken off...he has a lot of things that are in common with my 2003 buck.
1421Roadkill_2-med.jpg

Oh man, I remember that day. It was almost a year ago! Well, i'm glad you finally got the pics upploaded. That buck was a bruiser!

Nice buck. Where I see the luck invovled. I have a county sheriff buddy that "claims", he could be blowing smoke, they are suppose to smash the rack. Most of them never do. Not sure that all counties are the same, here in Jones the county sheriffs can give salvage tags. It was ironic though the first deer tagged during shotgun 2 (2yrs ago)was while the party was on the way to the hunting grounds, lol. It was only a yearling doe, but it was the first one tagged, hehehe

Top Bottom