Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Safety Harness Preferrences

iowaqdm

PMA Member
Just wondering which safety harness systems some of you are using and your likes and dislikes? I currently use a waist belt system which doesn't interfer with shooting or block access to pockets or gear. My only dislike is having to try to feed the belt through the buckle in the dark once in the stand. I would like to get a better waist system which has a quick release buckle/clip. I saw one on a tv show that looked like a rope that went around the tree with a caribiner that connected the rope to the waist harness. Any info would be appreciated.

Seat Of The Pants harness, which is a full body unit. I think Summit sells them now. I do not like waist belt systems, but they are alot better than nothing. My stand collapsed a few years ago and it was quite uneventful due to the SOP harness. However, it would likely have been painful and difficult to get my self right side up with a waist belt only.
You can pick up really nice caribiners at Scheels in the mountain climbing section. I bought one to replace that screwy looking metal thing that came with the SOP harness.

I have been practicing with my new Hunter Safety System Vest and Linesman Belt in combination with my Lone Wolf Alpha Hang-On stand and four Climbing sticks. I have yet to use it in a hunting situation; however I really like it thus far in practice. A person has two hands free for hanging sticks and stand, and it appears that both sticks and stand go up faster and quieter.

HSS

If you need more information on the system please contact Rudd. He can answer your questions.
grin.gif

I have used the SOP in the past but have started using the LW harness. I used it this past summer scouting and placing stands when I didn't want to stink up the hunting harness. It is light with no buckles hitting sticks, bow and gear. I am still using the SOP rope and knot as the LW slip knot loop is a bit small. Not a big deal but works for me. One advantage to the SOP was the ability to leave the pack and put a couple of extra items in the pouch for short hunts.

I just picked up a new Gorilla Silverback hang on and it came with a harness. It's similar to the SOP harness. It's got a lineman's belt that I think will really make hanging the stand easy and hands free. I used to use a waist belt, but can now see why you would only have a minute or two to get out of that thing. The gorilla comes with a small pouch attached to the shoulder strap that has a razor blade system that you can use to cut out if you have to. My wife gave me some funny looks as I was walking around the house wearing it the other day.
smile.gif

I've used the old Gametracker d-ring safetly belt for many years now. No longer available unfortunately. Talk about easy stand set up with both hands free. It would be a piece of cake to put one together. It's pretty much a linesman belt like the fellas have been talking about.

Just got my HSS vest from UPS today. Can't wait to try it out so I can get it de-scented and ready for the weekend.

I was just coming here to make a similar post. I currently use a SOP and like it alot. I have two boys out there as well and only own two SOP so I was going to buy another and thought I would get opintions from members here as to the best stuff currently being offered. SOP sounds like a continue favorite. There must be a lot of new harnesses out there with the requirement to provide them with new stands.

My HSS vest was very noisy. If I hear it then I figure bear and deer will to. I sent it back to BassPro.

Should have the SOP in a couple days. This is supposed to be quiet and I like the idea that I can wear it UNDER my hunting clothes if I prefer.

Also, according to an independent test that I read, the HSS vest is the most uncomfortable vest in the event of a fall. To the point of being VERY painfull (crotch area!!). Also, I found it to be quite heavy, and uncomfortable, which makes a difference in warmer weather.

I use a TreeHopper climbing belt for hanging stands.

Just for the record, Summit (SOP) is a major advertiser where this independent study was conducted and the testing was posted on Bowsite.

I have both HSS and the SOP....I prefer the HSS over the two (more versatile)...I do not plan on falling but I would bet both would hurt bad if you did fall....but less pain than if I hit the ground.

The HSS harness is much less coumbersome when putting on and helps keep the garments out of the way of the bowstring,,,,much better IMO

I love the SOP harness. I tried the HSS and it was so hot and bulky to wear I sent it back. Early season would be way to warm to use it in my opinion. I would have to agree with the so called independent study. It felt to me like there'd be a couple more nuts on the ground if you fell with it on.
crazy.gif

I wore the pro series videoing during the early season hunt and it was comfy IMO..it is all mesh except for the harness straps

i also use lone wolf hang on, and 4 lone wolf climbing sticks, with a h.s.s. its great can put in on in less then 10 seconds with little to no noise. also great in the stand

I recieved my SOP today and went right to putting it on. Had a hell of a time. My kids were rolling on the floor with laughter watching me struggle with this thing. Then I finally watched the CD and realized how easy this thing is.

Light weight. Comfortable. Quiet. Fits under the clothes if so wanted. Buckles are all quiet. Half the price of the HSS.

Glad I sent the HSS back.

I just bought another SOP on EBay. Now we'll all be hunting with the same harness. The boys won't have to fight over the extra SOP, one for everyboby.

SOP FastBack harness for my daughter - less tangle for the youngster!

Top Bottom