Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Same deer?

180class

I'm sifting through all my trail cam pictures from last year, trying to come across a picture of my buck from this year. I didn't run any cameras on this property this year, so it's really hard for me to say for sure who this deer is. This is a buck that I got pictures of on this property last year. He's the only one that I think may be the same deer as my buck from this year. If it's him, he made a pretty big jump since last season. What do you guys think? Same deer or not?

2010 Mystery 8
5016-mystery_8_2.jpg

5016-im000234.jpg

2011 Buck
5016-2011_buck.jpg

5016-big_942.jpg

Hard to tell, but my first impression is no.
If you have lots of pics of the one from last year, how does his throat patch compare to the one you shot? It also looks like the one you shot has a dark patch on his brisket. Does that match up to last years pics? I usually look for other features besides the antlers to follow a deer from year to year. Tears in ears are a good for year to year ID also.

I'm saying no due to the only real thing I can see that's different (other than the rack) is the little white strip right above the nose. Last years deer, that strip was pretty thin. The one you shot has a pretty thick strip and a little black streak going up into it which I don't see any indication of on last years deer. I'm also looking at the pics on my phone, so I can't see them real great. Great deer though regardless, congrats!

Im pretty sure its not the same deer, I have a pretty good history of tracking deer with trailcams over the past 15 years and watching rack development and i would say thats not the same! just my opinion,

brows come off the base early on both pictures, but the g2s and 3s on the 2011 both curve foreward and they are pretty strait on the 2010, dont see any ear markings or body tells, throat patch is hard to tell, but one good tell is the Black stripe above the nose is more of a stripe on the 2011 and its rounded on the 2010 , that and i dont see any signs of a split coming on the 2010 pictures, Frame is similar, Im guessing 85% not the same deer, but i have been fooled before! :D

I say no. The 8 was mature. Big brisket and throat patch. Your buck had no no thoat patch and smaller body.

Im thinkin NO as well... beams just dont wrap like the 2010 pics show... just too many characteristics that are different... good deer tho...

I don't think so either. Mainly due to the curves of the G2 & G3 as mentioned before. Hopefully you will continue to see nice big frames like that for years to come as you have a good gene pool going. Seems the bucks in one of my areas almost always get split G2's as they mature and are very difficult to match them up to older pics

Top Bottom