Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Saturday Morning Success

gersdorf

Life Member
Didn't have as much time to turkey hunt this year as I wanted too. Got the chance to head to SW Iowa to hunt with some good friends again this spring. A good buddy was able to harvest a nice bird off of this farm on Mother's Day morning and said he had a good feeling we could get another one. We got set up and the birds were gobbling like crazy. Had one that was just hammering. Never heard one sound off like that. But as soon as they pitched out it got real quiet. After waiting a bit we decided to try and head them off as they like to move up the ridge to the northeast. We moved up the north about 175 yards and spotted another group of birds that had 5 jakes and 3 toms. Got set up and made a few soft calls and they didn't really pay too much attention and they headed over the hill. Moved up another 75 yards or so and gave a few more soft calls and not 10 seconds later they came screaming over the hill. 3 of the jakes came right too me and were about a foot and half away from the barrel of my shotgun! The toms worked their way back east out of sight. After it was quiet for a little bit I decided to do a few soft yelps. Few minutes go by and I look behind me and see my hunting partner sleeping so was thinking I might take a quick nap when I head the best sound ever, spitting and drumming! With the lay of the land I couldn't see him until he was about 20 yards away. As soon as he walked out from behind a tree I let him have it! Was another fun and exciting hunt. Last year I was able to harvest a pig of a bird not 100 yards from this same spot. And my buddy shot his bird the weekend before about 20 yards from this spot too. I love this farm! He was 27lbs, 1.25 spurs, and had 3 beards. Longest on @ 11" and the other 2 both at 9.5".
3939-turkey.jpg

3939-2011_turkey.jpg

Nice late season bird!! :way: I bet your buddy was happy with you after your shot woke him up with a start. :D

Top Bottom