Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Say goodbye to the little pheasant habitat there is...

With the amount of corn that is/will be chopped to sileage, is this really necessary? I suppose maybe not all livestock can properly digest sileage??

The way I understood it today after a conversation with grandpa was that even though the dnr is allowin you to mow it bail it etc, farmers are still having to pay an amount per acre even though you own it. Alot of farmers at least in central Iowa won't be doing this. We've had enough rain this month to help farmers get another cut or two of alfalfa.

With the amount of corn that is/will be chopped to sileage, is this really necessary? I suppose maybe not all livestock can properly digest sileage??

i've heard that all this early corn sileage being chopped can be toxic to livestock due to high nitrate levels in the underdeveloped ears. it has to ferment longer before it can be fed.

A. You can only hay 50 percent of contracted acres, which leaves the other half for your precious pheasants
B. Yes, you pay have to pay back 10 percent of the rental rate
C. as far as grazing they have stocking rates set and stubble height requirements
D. CRP either gets mowed, burned, torn up, or chemical burned at least once throughout the contract anyways
E. >60 percent of pastures in Iowa are currently in poor-very poor conditions so i feel like having enough hay to get livestock through the winter is a valid priority to release for this emergency haying and grazing

The way I understood it today after a conversation with grandpa was that even though the dnr is allowin you to mow it bail it etc, farmers are still having to pay an amount per acre even though you own it.

From my understanding, their rental rate for CRP will be reduced, so they really aren't paying for it out of pocket, just not getting the full CRP payment.

Also, I thought there is a % of acreage enrolled limit, so that you can't mow it all.

I did see a large weedy CRP field that had been mostly mowed. Not the best hay out there but the market is hungry.

On the bright side, the pheasants had the cover to nest. Unfortunately, now they will be condensed to smaller areas for the predators to pick them off.

When corn goes through drought, it's reproductive system starts shutting down, in turn not utilizing all the nitrogen available, then you get high nitrate corn that can be toxic to cattle. It will make mother cows abort calves, and can really wreck their digestive system, ultimately ending in death. A lot of corn will not be able to be chopped for this very reason.

CRP hay isn't going to be much for protien, but its better than snow balls and sticks this winter. It is an emergency situation right now for cattle growers. Hay supply is slim to none, everyone is hanging onto what little they got this year. Pastures are burned up, and a lot of people have been already feeding hay. It's a tough year for sure.

It doesn't bother me a bit that they are having to cut CRP to help make ends meet for feed in livestock. They can not cut 100% of it anyways, unless they buy their full contract back. If they cut 50%, then they only have to buy back 10% of their contract.

That makes sense. In the past we have lost horses from nitrate poisoning, from turning them out on stalks without testing them. Probably gonna be a risky year for that.

Top Bottom