Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

SCENT LOCK? IS IT WORTH IT?

katy

Ballagh
I was talking to a few different people about buying a scent lock suit. They are pretty creditable sources. Their opinion is that scent lock isnt worth buying for the scent suppression. They informed me that a few other companies tried them on it, and scent lock was sueing them for it, when they proved it was phoney they dropped the law suit. They stated that after you washed it 4 times then the scent suppression was worthless? Just a way of selling all of their other products. Has anyone else heard this. Or what are your opinions. Is it worth $300-$400??? Let's hear it...

I don't have scent lock, but I have scentblocker, which is the same thing I think. I was told not to wash it unless it was really dirty, or just to sponge mud and dirt off it. I think I only wash it maybe once a year, and that's only if I couldn't take it off before gutting a deer and got blood on it. I think the longer you have it the more often you have to put it in the dryer to reactivate it.

Is it worth it? I say yes. I noticed a considerable drop in the amount of deer that winded me. I've had mine for three years and I love it.
smile.gif

I forgot to say that you still have to keep up your routine of using scent eliminating soap, shampoo and laundry soap on your other clothes and sprays for your boots and equipment. The suits work well, but they're just another step in scent elimination. They're not a cure all.

I have had my Scent Blocker suit for 2 years and washed it twice.Thanks for the heads up though.I got mine a little cheaper than that.

I gave in yesterday. I saw all the new stuff sitting there on the shelves. They had my size. I talked with the Rep for a while and he convinced me that was what I needed. Damn you peer pressure.

Trust me you made a good choice. I'm sure you will notice a difference. I have had the same scentlok suit for 6 years it has went bear and deer hunting for that long and I think I have washed it once in a washing machine. Always wash them by hand in a sink of only water and hang out to dry outside and then when it is dry then activate it in the dryer. It seems to help make them last longer. Another tip would be to tuck your pant legs in your boots and hang your coat up when gutting your game and that will eliminate a lot of the reasons to wash your suit.

Hey Chad, If you do a search about a year back 9/3/03 to be exact, Onecam posted an article about activated carbon that was pretty interesting and Bowhunt started one somewhere in that time frame as well. You get the jist of peoples feelings on it anyways along with some do's and dont's.

I personally like to use them but they need to be de-scented on the outside regularly and good personal hygene is a must (bout time to start shaving again huh Bonker)

[quot] (bout time to start shaving again huh Bonker)

[/ QUOTE ]

What makes you think I ever quit?

The 'Bonker

I have the scent lok suit and I think its worth it, like shredder said about personaly hygiene. I tumble my suit before a hunt in scent free fabric softner. Your best bet is then to spray carbon blast all over it and your face and gloves or hands. Best secret.

you shouldn't tuck your scentloc pantlegs into your boots. that lets odor escape with every step you take. and, i beleive in order to reactivate the carbon, a dryer has to get to 1400 degrees

[ QUOTE ]
..."i beleive in order to reactivate the carbon, a dryer has to get to 1400 degrees"

[/ QUOTE ]

I read that in a post a while back. At 1400º you would have less than ashes.

Most volatiles (smoke and particulate matter) ignite at temperatures ranging from 1000º - 1400º F. The temperatures in a typical fireplace fire range from 900º - 1200º at the hottest glowing parts, from 200º- 400 º where you see the flames. So if that's the case, even a frieplace isn't going to get hot enough to reactivate your carbon clothing.
crazy.gif

I'm not arguing the fact that carbon suits can or cannot be reactivated, only that the 1400º F. temperature is false.

I have Supprescent clothing and I think it works very well. I wash it often in the early season due to the fact that I want to at least try and prevent poison ivy from ruining my life. I have seen no ill effects from the regular washing and drying. During the later season when poison ivy isn't as much of a threat I usually only reactivate it in the dryer. I think it does what it is designed to do. I've had much less trouble being detected in down wind situations using it.

Rackaddict,I also use the suppresant,but always wondered how effective a clothes dryer is,in the reactivation process? I believe Teeroy is correct,maybe not 1400 degrees,I think it's 1200.But there is a process for reactivating carbon,which is done in a controlled environment.And the key here would be no oxygen, so it don't ignite.That's why I always wondered how effective a clothes dryer is, being they only reach around 200 degrees or so.Do these carbon clothes differ that much where less heat actually works?I often wonder if were all being duped with the reactivation process?

yeah, i wasn't sure about that 1400 degrees thing either, but i had read it somewhere recently. i DO know, that your regular clothes dryer does NOT get ot enough to reactivate the carbon

Here is that article...

Do activated-carbon garments work?

I use a scent lok liner with suppresscent coat and pants. I have found it helps but as been stated nothing is a cure all for using the wind. I have had deer know something is not right however they have not been able to pinpoint a location nor did it keep them from getting within bow range...Those are the deer I have had visual confirmation of... hard telling how many have stayed out of view and went the other way. I will continue to purchase scent inhibiting products... it is part of the ritual.

For me it's about confidence. If it works or not(I say it does) I have more confidence sitting in my tree waiting. I think the more confidence you have the better you hunt, plus I keep tabs on all scent control, I even put a slice of apple in my mouth to help cover my bad breath
grin.gif
. Every year I have deer come from down wind and never know I was there.

Top Bottom