Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Scouting/Spotlighting!

Wiggleworm

I'm wondering if there is anybody out there that recreational spotlights as means of scouting? I've been spotting for 5 yrs and have seen numerous of mature bucks at night. I know alot of you will think that this is illegal but it isn't as long as you obide by the rules. As for you can't have any weapons in possesion!!! Nope not even a pocket knife. I've been stopped by the DNR numerous of times.

This means of scouting paid off for me last fall when I found a big 10pt. on the night of Nov.16 and arrowed him on Nov.18 Sunday afternoon. He scored 181 gross and netted 170 1/8.

I for the most part try to take my video cam with me when ever possible. the photage shows up surprisinly well. So lets hear it . Is there anybody else out there like I.

Thanks for your imput!!!

I've used it as a means of scouting and plan to again. I consider it fair chase. Hey, look at all the guys using remote cameras! There are some precautions and I don't encourage everyone to do it. Some guys are to stupid to do it with out getting into trouble. (shining farm houses, livestock ect.)

I did not know that you could do this. But it sounds like you have checked it out. Maybe I will try it sometime. Does the light spook deer or will they continue there rutine?

I do this quite a bit and my kids love it too. It will give you a new perspective on the bucks living in your area, expecially this time of the year.

There is nothing wrong with shining in my opinion. I have hours of video tape of bucks from this year, including the one I shot last week(158"). To me its a fun way to pass the time when you cant hunt. It also gives you a real good idea if an area is worth hunting before you waste your time getting permission. I would never hunt an area unless I had some reason to belive it had big bucks in it. I have been pulled over as well, a quick search to check for weapons and your on your way.

I've done it once, this fall and saw so many deer and bucks it was sick, some were big boys too. I'd do it more often but I have a feeling many of the landowners don't want me putting around the woods at night shining a light into the alfalfa.

Top Bottom