Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Scrape hunting

I realy enjoy hunting scrape lines, I've had great luck hunting over them the past few seasons. I know that some guys don't bother hunting them because most scrape activity is during night time. I would like to hear some dos and donts of scrape hunting, what do you look for when hunting a scrape, tips tactics. Looking forward to hearing everybody's thoughts on scrape hunting. Thanks for you're time

If I can find a place where the scrapeline runs thru a funnel then it's game on. I killed my 2nd biggest buck while he was checking a scrapeline. This particular scapeline was on a hillside above a small bottoms feeding area. The hillside was covered in cedars and extremely thick but a little over halfway up there was a strip of young hardwoods that ran parrallel with the main ridge line and across three finger ridges. These three fingers ran perpendicular to the main ridge. I choose to hunt the middle finger ridge because the hardwoods tapered down and formed a bottleneck. Although he was actually checking the scrapes I believe the funnel I sat in is why I sealed the deal. For the record, he barely broke the 130" mark and at the time was my biggest buck to date. I have yet to take a true giant but for public land in northern KY, I am very proud of him. I also have his matched set of sheds from the year before as a 2 year old. They were found about 3/4 of a mile from where I killed him.

It's a hit or miss deal!! I had a 180+ walk up and check a scrape and lay down by it! Like he knew Tanya would show up !!!! I called him to me from about 80 yrds............. I missed him at about 20!! :mad: I was using a longbow and got a limb and stuck it in a big oak about a foot before it got to him!!!!:moon: I also have hunted over a scrape that was about 8x4 and saw diddly?????:confused: You call it!!!!!!!!!:way:

Top Bottom