Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

10hunter

PMA Member
Looking for advice on HOW to set up cameras on active scrapes once they appear? or do I create them? field edges or in the timber? I have used cameras for years over bait initially and then food plots or travel lanes as season starts but have no experience with setting up on scrapes or even rub lines. Any helpful advice you could offer is appreciated!

I just went and moved my cameras over scrapes yesterday on a couple properties. I found active scrapes (just look for good over hanging branches 4 ft or so off the ground on edge) and you will see the scrape under the branches. I take Tinks scrape gel and put in the active scrape and on the branches and it seems to make them go nuts

I have had luck just making them with a stick, peeing in it and *BAM* you have a mock scrape.

I can't comment on the use of sprays, scents, etc. in regards to how frequent it actually makes a buck use a scrape vs. my method.

I haven't put many cameras directly on scrapes, but have occasionally. I just put it right on the tree that the scrape was under looking straight out at the scrape (about 12-15' from the trunk to the scrape). This was a natural scrape that gets opened each year and has been there several years. It is also in a break in trees in an old fence line where deer somewhat funnel thru, so I got pics of deer traveling as well as stopping to use the scrape. Maybe should mention this was with an IR camera, so no bright flash. Not sure if a flash would bother. Also, most of the action happened during dark.

I've also tried the mock scrapes with a scrape starter and scrape drippers and got some response (deer tracks or scrape marks in the scrape), but never had a camera on the tree to see what was there. I wouldn't say I ever got a lot of use out of the mock scrapes as the natural ones always look more heavily used to me, and it got costly to keep the drippers full.

Last edited:
I have had luck just making them with a stick, peeing in it and *BAM* you have a mock scrape.

I can't comment on the use of sprays, scents, etc. in regards to how frequent it actually makes a buck use a scrape vs. my method.

I actually opened an old scrape the other day and did the same (had to go!). It used to get opened every year, but I haven't seen it have the same action the past couple of years. Not sure if the deer just changed habits or if the tree has grown a little taller and now the licking branch is too high. My guess is just a change in habits, but I made sure to take a pic of the scrape after opening it so I can at least refer to it the next time I'm around it to see if there is any difference.

If a camera has burst mode I put it on the tree the scrape is under or a close by tree and try to get it 15 feet away or so. If it doesn't have burst mode I try to put it on the opposite side so the licking branch isn't in the way of the rack. I've used fence posts to do this. We've put them on field edges, deep in the timber and everywhere in between. Now is the time for us to put the majority of our cameras on scrapes to try and collect our fall inventory of what stayed on our hunt able properties.

Good info. I will definitely try some homemade and natural scrapes to see if the bucks we have been getting are sticking around or any newbies showing up. Might even try my own rub tree in a food plot with a camera on a post as I seen in another post. We've kept our cameras in the same sites for many years and this year have been moving a little more and I m amazed how little these bucks appear to range, prior to this time of year and the rut. Want to try some new things and keep the cameras rotating and see "who" we can all see. Thanks for the help

Scrapes used for some yrs have all seemed to dry up on my land. Don't know why. Last seasn not one on my land. True I only have 40 acres but you'd think I'd have seen one. Still I shot a 4 yr old buck following a doe across it.

Check out my scrape cam thread. I put my cam on another tree about 15ft away from the scrape and get awesome pics. In fact I just moved all my cams to scrapes and this years scrape cam thread will be opened this weekend

Hang a grape vine on a field edge or in the timber next to high traffic areas and sit back and watch. I use buck fever synthetic gland scent to start them but once the doe's work them its on.

Experimenting with a few of these chandeliers made with thicker vines.

Last edited:
I just clear a patch of grass with a branch or heel and relieve myself on it whenever I check my cam. Some get picked up and others don't. I got A LOT of nightime pictures on the two mock scrapes I made last year that the deer took over. I would make them close to a heavily traveled trail otherwise it seems like the deer don't notice them. I also had my best luck on field edges or sparse timber ground.

Scrapes are my main focus for camera locations when they are active. I try to look for a bigger "community scrape" that gets hit by multiple bucks cruising through as opposed to smaller scrapes that a buck may have made quick while on a stroll and doesn't get hit again. I also like to set the camera on video mode as it will give you the most information about the buck, because they stay in the frame for a good amount of time to get alot of different angles as opposed to passing by on a trail.

Grape vines .....grrr Justin, DUDE ya just gotta keep some things on the low low.... hope they work:D.

Ahh Mike these boys are down south. They won't be messing with your bucks. Haha. I thought you didn't get on here much. You werent suppose to see that. See ya tomorrow buddy. Don't forget my special scrape juice.

hey DAVER, yep still alive and at it, just been busy as heck. Really miss drooling over every body trials and tribulations...

Justin , them southern boys will not only figure it out, but probably improve the wheel of vines too....don't underestimate a southern boy--ever..

pulled five cards tonight , all does and dinks, but at least i didn't have any HUMAN interference this time

Top Bottom