Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

scraping buck

rutnstrut

PMA Member
got another one over a scrape this week but the only pic i have is head on with him working the licking branch. this time it wasnt a mock scrape though it was an already existing scrape i added doe in estrous to, maybe ill get a better look at him in a couple of weeks, looks like he might have some potential.

Attachments

• 32083-bbbbuck.jpg
    32083-bbbbuck.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 265
I went out tonight to see how the deer in my area were acting. I found many rubs, somewhere probuably around 20, but i did'nt find any scrapes yet. Thats a nice picture that you have. He looks like he's a nice buck.

I found about a half a dozen scrapes tonight while setting a camera out. Did not take long to determine where to set the cam. I will post the pics as they get developed.........if they amount to anything that is.

Shredder,

I'll be interested to hear your report on this. I found several scrapes as well but passed on the idea of putting the camera over them. I don't know whether the flash and/or noise really bothers deer much or not, but in my opinion a good scrape is too valuable to risk it with the bow season right around the corner. Let us know how it goes, and particularly if you see any reduction in activity around these scrapes after you've had the camera there awhile.

NWBuck

NWbuck.
Heres my answer to your question. I think as long as you have your time delay set rather long setting up on a scrape is OK. I tried this last year with a digital camera and a slave flash of mine. I had the time delay to 10 secs. here is a sequence I got.

Attachments

• 32390-scrape1.jpg
    32390-scrape1.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 263
These were taken the last week of october. He came back only once after that. November 15. I had the camera at a different angle, not facing right at the scrape, but away from it and this is what I got.

Attachments

• 32394-bhh2.jpg
    32394-bhh2.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 264
vman,

If I understand you correctly you think the 10 second delay definetely spooked this buck? How long would be long enough? Possibly a 5 or 10 minute option?

NWBuck

P.S. What an absolute HOG! Anyone ever shoot him?

Are those photos in the wrong order? Seems to me if you reverse them they show that the flash didn't affect him? How did he happen to be looking back at the camera each time it fired if he was spooked? Maggs.
confused.gif

Yes,They are in the correct order. He never got to do his business, but he wanted in their bad! After each pic, he seemed to get scared, but was always coming back after more. The pics were 10 ses apart, so he never got to do his business at the scrape. If I were to try this again, Id make sure I had at least a 5min delay.

I have a picture sequence from last year of a small buck working a scrape and then he stops and his hair stands up. A larger buck comes in and there are three or four picture of them sparing and then the final couple picutres are of the larger buck working the scrape. The delay on the camera was 30 seconds.

After hanging a stand monday evening I went and checked a friends camera for him and decided I'm move it down the hill a bit. As I was walking down the hill I noticed a big track and was looking down at it as I was walking. Looked up just in time to see the tail end of a deer trotting away from what looked like a fresh scrape. The deer didn't realy spook but the sound of the hooves were like a horse going thru the woods. Never saw what it was, gotta learn to look up a little more?

NW buck, here is a pick I just got developed of a buck at a scrape. This was on a 1 minute delay and in never seemed to bother him....

Attachments

• 32466-pic1.jpg
    32466-pic1.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 245
I know, I need to get some black foam for the glare reduction, this is #3

Attachments

• 32469-pic3.jpg
    32469-pic3.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 246
Vman,
Do you think putting a video camera by the scrape would keep from scareing them away?Do you see deer running away from your video units?

Tracker, video is the best. I have all night vision so no bright light. I just need to make sure that the videocam is far enough away that he cant hear the servo rotate. My videocam will be placed on a scrape this year. Ill let you know how it goes
grin.gif

Top Bottom