Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Seen any good fights lately?

G

GunnerJon

Last week during 2nd season a couple buddies of mine witnessed two jakes ganging up and beating a smaller jake. The victim left with a broken leg! The next day another buddy and I set up and witnessed the same broken-legged jake fly down and just lay on the ground for over an hour. He will probably turn into coyote bait. Good luck and good hunting!

-GunnerJon

For me hunting is often an excuse to spend lots of time outdoors watching wildlife. That's basically what I was doing several mornings ago, while hiding in my double bull, trying to coax a gobbler into bow range. It was a gorgeous morning. The sky was clear. Wild flowers covered the ridge I was sharing with three gobblers as the sun poked over the horizon. Unfortunately a number of hens also were there and and they had a lot more sex appeal than my calls and decoys.

Along with the three gobblers just over the ridge in front of me I could hear several across a valley on an adjacent ridge. As time passed they got closer and closer. Finally I could see three of them working down the opposite hill side heading for the three gobblers on my side.

Soon the biggest turkey fight I've everseen or heard broke out just over the ridge in front of me. It was the three gobblers from my ridge and the three from the other ridge. There were a few gobbles mixed in but mostly a roar of fighting purrs squaks and flapping wings. After several minutes the fight got closer. Finally I could see a mass of black bodies, red, white and blue heads and flapping wings working my way. I decided I'd rather just watch the fight than try to shoot a gobbler with a bow. I'd already taken one the second day of season and wasn't in a rush to be done.

The fight went on for at least 3 1/2 minutes. Finally two of the gobblers, looking rather whipped, snuck out of the bunch and worked over the ridge. The remaining 4 went back to displaying for several hens that were still in the area. The fan of one was missing a tail feather right in the middle of his fan but he didn't seem to notice.

Sorry I didn't shoot one of the gobblers? No way, just sorry I didn't have my video camera along!

While turkey hunting in Arkansas many years ago I shot a boss gobbler that at one time had broken his leg. It had healed but at an angle and with a knob at the point of healing. Several times I've been amazed at the wounds wildlife is able to survive. That jake may have a chance.

Sunday night I had a 10 bird battle royalle show up. Several longbeards and a bunch of jakes were whipping on each other. Suddenly they all broke up and ran after each other. It was comical as hell, about 10 birds chasing in single file line across a cornfield. They began "snaking" back and forth and it reminded me of that old video game "centipede". What was really cool is they were comin right for me! I was about to draw down on a good tom when 2 jakes came up and started beating on him. The tom ran off with the jakes in pursuit, I was not pleased with the turn of events.
smile.gif

muddy

Top Bottom