Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Select or clear cut timber??

Jdubs

Considering a timber harvest to create cover/bedding areas. Should I select cut, 14" and up, or should I clear cut??
Also, if I select cut should I instruct the timber buyer to remove or leave the tree tops, again, to create cover??
Thanks for any input.

I'm guessing it depends on the type and quality of trees you have. If you have high quality hardwoods i wouldn't clear cut.

Areas of low value timber you might be better of clear cut in stages to create openings that will grow to brush.

I would leave the tops but others might have differeing thoughts.

Talk to an expert. Like Dbltree said, select cut is for quality hardwoods. I have been advised that certain species such as silver maple should only be harvested in clear cuts or leaving nothing over 8". It is better for the regeneration to take place at the same rate on this species.

I'd leave the tops, drag them around if you want to make more edges and transition.

It is hard to say what is best for you, as each timber is different in tree species, maturity of the trees, and your short and long term goals. If short term income is not the goal, and wildlife habitat is, I would suggest meeting with a distric forester and formulating a plan that will meet your needs.

There are ways to increase acorn production as well as increase the available security cover for your deer.

Here is a very recent article on the IDNR website that may be helpful...

Timber Stand Improvement

The goal is to create a better bedding area and a place where deer and turkey will frequent. At present, especially with the foilage off the trees, the timber stand seems too thin, where you can look through the entire stand with little ground cover. Trying to get the sunlight through to initiate new growth.

Sounds like TSI is a good fit for you then.
waytogo.gif

A TSI thins out the "undesired" trees so that the "desired" tree species can grow faster and with higher quality. Trees need a certain amount of space for optimal growth and a TSI gives desirable species room to grow at optimal levels. Doing a TSI also greatly enhances wildlife food production of native oak, hickoy, cherry, walnut trees , etc. The growth of various woody browse typically increases in the first few years following a TSI, due to increased light levels reaching the forest floor -- thereby creating a top quality whitetail deer habitat where none may have existed before. All in all, TSI is considered to be a vital component to the development of a diverse woodland ecosystem in which wildlife food sources and nesting habitat components are maximized. An additional major benefit to the landowner is the drastic improvement in the quality of tree species that are present after TSI -- trees that could bring a premium price if they should be chosen for harvest at some point in time.

Is there a browse line 8 or 9 foot throughout the timber from deer the deer or is a mature stand of trees letting little sunlight pass the canopy to hinder regeneration?
TSI will do wonders but how is your deer density on your land? I have seen this in some areas. I have also seen areas on the same farm doing well but the preferred areas used heavily by the deer are having problems. Either way TSI will help with the habitat and add more browse.

Top Bottom