Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Selling a Dead Head

MossyDXT

I've got an old farmer that lets me shed hunt all over his land. A few years ago he found a dead head while mushroom hunting and he's asked me to see what I could get for it.

I figured this would be the best place to ask if anyone knew where I could get a decent deal for the guy. I havn't seen the rack in awhile but from what I remember it's nice. Like a main frame 10 with junk and mass all over the place. Probably mid 170s to 180s. Nice dark color too.

I don't totally agree with selling horns. I think like most things when money is added into things it tends to bring in the not wanted types. Head hunters and everything else (not everyone that sells horns is evil, I get this). I wanna do right by him though so if anybody can point me in the right direction i'd appreciate it.

Don't know if you do the facebook thing or not but there are some pretty cool antler collector pages that people sell sheds and heads all the time. Depending on how good the color is on it, I would say on the high end of Teenage Hunters numbers would be close.

You can get a great price for antlers on ebay. Wait until the shed push around March/April and this is when you get top dollar.

Kratz

How does one deal with deer heads that were legally killed before the regulation change that the license must stay with the rack? Is a person just SOL?

The license only has to stay on the rack until its processed. My taxidermist says he does not need the tag on the rack when you take it in. And the meat processor that i take deer to for the hush program says he needs the tag on the deer.Once i cut the head off the tags go on the carcass.

I've been putting the tags on the back of the mount/plaque, so it is still with it, just not in the "legal tagging" spot.

as do I. Its always nice if you have it just in case!!! If you start shooting to many big bucks some people start talking.

Wow lots of replys! I never even thought about facebook. I'll check some of those pages out. Thanks for all the replys. Keep the ideas coming if you've got any different ones.

As for keeping tags with mounts I don't really see the point. Maybe in the old days, yes. Now that you have to call it in the DNR has it in its records.

i dont get it?? we have quite a few bucks we have european mounted and once they are boiled i cut the tags off and throw away. also have a few bucks i have found european mounted. who's to tell what heads are what and how they died. or what year they died?? and what would be stopping me from selling any of them if i wanted?? im just confused.

Somewhere I got it in my head that the tags were supposed to stay with the antlers now. I thought it was to cut down on the trafficking of poached heads. Guess that isn't the case, which not sure what good it would do anyway.

I've got racks from the '80's that I did not keep the tag for and there was no reporting system back then.

Also, somewhere I read that if you move to certain states, you are supposed to have proof of legal harvest when taking your antlers there. Doesn't look I'll be moving to one of those states anytime soon (on multiple levels).

Top Bottom