Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Sending this as a "letter to the editor".

tc1968

Not that it will do any good - but I am doing my part by trying to bring public up to speed. I am sending this into our local paper tomorrow.

Feel free to comment and correct my facts if you feel they are not correct:

Article

Deer Hunting?

How many of you went deer hunting this year (in any season)? Well if you did or didn’t for the past few years “deer hunting” has changed (in meaning) for all of us. Deer hunting, in all parts of Iowa, used to be hunting for the “right deer” to harvest but now the meaning is “hunt to see a deer, let alone harvest one”. The Iowa legislators and the DNR, for the past few years, have had the mentality of “if it’s brown it’s down”. They have adapted this policy under a public lie of “landowner complaints, pressure from the public and automotive insurance companies”. But the real truth, which is not talked about, the new policies are in place (in part) to generate revenue. Imagine that, government wanting more money. They have been trying to increase the revenue by lobbing to increase the number of out of state tags sold, allowing non-residence to purchase a doe “only” license and party hunt deer (gun) with residence that have buck tags, non-realistic “antlerless” deer seasons after the bucks have shed their antlers and so on. What also is a hidden secret is when they do “deer counts” (surveys) in order to set the amount of deer they feel should be harvested, they don’t take into account areas that are not accessible (private property, leased areas or refuges). How does that matter? Well, when an army of hunters converge on a county to hunt (because the DNR says the deer numbers require some increased management) the deer don’t know they are suppose to leave their safe, non-accessible areas, so they can get shot. It doesn’t matter how many deer “need’ to be harvested they won’t be because hunters can’t go after them. So where do you think a hunter goes then? Public areas, accessible landowners, or (south of 30) they drive around and shoot off the road. All of this causes pressure on a weakened deer herd because the hunters are concentrated – not the deer. Deer populations in Iowa are now confined to urban areas, refuges or private (non-accessible) areas. You couple this with a very, very poor predator control policy of hindering coyote control and we are seeing the Iowa Whitetail heading down the path of the dinosaur, for the majority of Iowa hunters. Access –Access –Access! The legislators and the DNR need to focus on getting access for Iowa residents – not increase the non-resident hunters. I will not argue that in some counties there is a need for intense deer management and landowners / farmers need to manage their property they way they see fit. Since only 2% of the land in Iowa is public the DNR needs to work with famers and landowners who truly have problems with deer. They can do this by working on landowner relations, use the deprivation system for specific tracts – not take a whole county approach. Also take a common sense approach to deer counting, eliminate the late season slaughter and spend money on walk in areas, which goes beyond just deer hunting (like in SD where the landowner is paid to allow hunters), not new vehicles. If you want to start researching this on your own, you can go to websites like, Iowa Whitetails Forever. We as hunters also need to manage ourselves. Just because there are “tags” available – don’t buy them to just kill something; manage and hunt responsibly and if you know and see the deer population is stressed or in some cases non-existing, start looking around at the policies and other opinions. Because if you look around for an accessible deer in Iowa, you will get very disappointed!

I don't comment on here usually. I am normally just a looker. Now I'll break out my 1st post. I have had several conversations about this with fellow hunters over the last few weeks. What was stated above is the general consensus among these hunters. I personally have noticed the lower deer numbers. I don't know how much we can do as hunters but I feel that this is a very important issue. When did the hunting become all about money? To me and I'm sure to many others, that this is wrong. tc1968, thank you for your concern about this issue. I'm sure many others will agree with you.

I did a little editing but tried to keep your main points consistant. Sorry if I changed any of your intent. Just wanted to generalize some of it and clarify a couple points for the general public. I commend you on trying to make a difference. We need more people like yourself! Be sure to spell check before submitting to your local paper. :grin:

How many of you went deer hunting this year? Well if you did you maybe have realized that “deer hunting" has changed for most of us. Deer hunting, in Iowa, used to be hunting for the “right deer” to harvest but now in many areas is turning into “hunt to see a deer, let alone harvest one”. The Iowa legislators and the DNR, for the past few years, have had the mentality of “if it's brown it's down”. They have adapted this policy under the premiss of “landowner complaints, public complaints, pressure from Farm Bureau, and pressure from automotive insurance companies”. I will concede that there has been pressure from many of these groups, however much of the DNR's new deer management policies appear to be to generate revenue. Imagine that, government wanting more money and a bigger budget. They have been trying to increase the revenue by lobbing to increase the number of non-resident deer tags sold, allowing non-residents to purchase a doe “only” license and party hunt deer during the shotgun seasons with residents that have buck tags. The have also created two “antlerless” deer seasons to generate more revenue. One during Thanksgiving weekend and one in late January after most of the bucks have shed their antlers. Why would they have hunters shooting shed bucks when true population control is obtained by shooting does? Maybe because their true motivation is being driven more by the money derived from the tag sales than truely a management agenda. Especilly when Iowa is trying to promote trophy buck hunting in the State by handing out Governor tags to celebrities! What is also a bit misleading is when they do their “deer counts” (surveys) in order to set the amount of deer they feel should be harvested. They don’t take into account areas that are not accessible (large private properties, leased areas for outfitters or refuges). You might ask why does that matter? Well, when hunters travel to a county to hunt (because the DNR says the deer numbers require some increased management) the deer concentrate on the non-accessible areas, so regardless of the number of hunters or deer tags alloted the deer can't be harvested. It doesn’t matter how many deer “need’ to be harvested they won’t be because hunters can’t go after them. This concentrates the majority of hunters on the same accessable ground whether it is public hunting areas or accessible private land. All of this causes pressure on a weakened deer herd in these areas because the hunters are concentrated – not the deer. Deer populations in Iowa are now confined to urban areas, refuges or private (non-accessible) areas. You couple this with a poor predator (coyote) control policy and we are seeing the Iowa whitetail herd heading down the same path as the pheasant, for the majority of Iowa hunters. They need to focus on what is best for the resident hunters and the deer herd in this State and not on what is best for their budget. Because without the resident hunters they wont have a budget. We have seen a large decline in pheasant hunters in this State due to the decreased pheasant population and the deer hunters will follow the same trend. I will not argue that in some counties there is a need for intense deer management and landowners / farmers need to manage their property the way they see fit. Since only 2% of the land in Iowa is public the DNR needs to work with farmers and landowners who truly have problems with deer. They can do this by working on landowner relations by encouraging landowners to use the deprivation program for their farms. Most importantly decrease "antlerless" tag quotas alloted on a county wide bases. The DNR needs to take a common sense approach to deer counting, eliminate the special "antlerless" seasons in November and January and spend money on walk in areas, which benefits all types of hunting (like the walk in program in South Dakota where the landowner is paid to open their land up hunters). Access –Access –Access! The legislators and the DNR need to focus on getting access for Iowa residents – NOT increasing the non-resident deer tags. That will only result in decrease resident hunters access because it promotes non-resident leasing, outfitter leasing and non-residents buying deer hunting land! We as hunters also need to manage ourselves. Just because there are “tags” available – don’t buy them just because you can; manage and hunt responsibly and if you know and see the deer population is stressed or in some cases non-existing adjust your harvest accordingly, start looking at the policies our legislators are pushing and let your voice be heard. Because if you don't, your search for an accessible deer or land in Iowa may be very disappointing!

I found a web site that is dedicated to protecting the hunting heritage in Iowa. The web site is called iowawhitetailsforever.com. I suggest you contact your legislators and follow any legislation that may negatively affect hunting in Iowa by registering your email for free on iowawhitetailsforever.com. By registering your email you will be able to follow legislation that will affect hunting in iowa and will recieve email alerts to let you know when and how to contact your legislators. All of us hunters need to be more proactive and do our part to protect our hunting heritage in Iowa for our kids and future generations. Let's not stand by and watch them be sold out to meet a budget!

Last edited:
Be sure to spell check before submitting to your local paper. :grin:

I did and mine was ok - your editing sent "spell check" into a panic. :moon:
hahahaha!

Thanks though! Editing, spell check, correct wording is really all hot air - results, focus and hunter participation is what is important!

tc1968- Great work! Taking the time and initiative is awesome. However, if “bringing the public up to speed” is a goal of yours…..You might want to revisit the approach of:”Editing, spell check, correct wording is really all hot air” as you mentioned. In a public medium, like a newspaper critics will be anxiously searching to discredit your efforts.

You are correct hunter focus and participation continues to be very significant. Thanks for getting the word out and good luck!:way:

tc1968- Great work! Taking the time and initiative is awesome. However, if “bringing the public up to speed” is a goal of yours…..You might want to revisit the approach of:”Editing, spell check, correct wording is really all hot air” as you mentioned. In a public medium, like a newspaper critics will be anxiously searching to discredit your efforts.

You are correct hunter focus and participation continues to be very significant. Thanks for getting the word out and good luck!:way:

100% AGREE!!!! Might have to go back and dust off the college books!:drink2:

Top Bottom