Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Seriously, who can you trust anymore!

buck160

Well, in October I had 2 tree stands stolen, caught the little bastard that stole those and got everything back. Then this weekend I went to go check my trail camera and that was stolen. Two different farms two miles from each other. I am really sick and tired of having stuff stolen. I have talked to both land owners and we have plans but was wanting ideas from you guys. How do you keep trespassers off your land and thieves from getting what they want. I know the posting signs is a good way, but what else can a guy do?

Put cameras high up in tree's, pointed down, on trails that you know they will travel.
I have heard about many people catching and prosecuting these indivivuals.

BTW - Many times the person's picture is taken while looking at the camera........and know they have been caught..............and wont return after that.

Last edited:
Where was the culprit you caught stealing from? Many times the suspects live very close to your property, or are friends of a neighboring property. Remember they have a reason for being so close and tresspassing without much guilt.

Dang Ross, sounds like it's been a tough season. Glad to hear ya caught the person who stole the stands. I had one stolen this year also. It was up all year, went to sit in it back in October and it was gone. Good luck with the camera.

Yeah Colt, it has been a tough year fighting trespassers. That sucks you got one stolen. That is one heck of a flat head in your avatar by the way!

Danny, I think I know who it was, but can't prove anything, whenever this kid is around things disappear and this kid has been around quite a bit lately. Myself and another guy caught him on State no hunting property the day we found my buck. Neighbors and landowners have started to watch quite a bit more now. Should be a interesting rest of the season from here on out.

Were the stands and trailcamera locked up?

I always lock mine no matter how safe i think the property is.

Were the stands and trailcamera locked up?

I always lock mine no matter how safe i think the property is.

Stands were a couple days from being locked up, I forgot my locks when I put them up the weekend before they got stolen.

The camera was in a place I have hunted for 10 years and have never had a problem. Chains and locks will be purchased for everything from here on out.

Try to find a fellow hunting fanatic who may be in law enforcement. See if he can help you locate and observe anything unusual. Most law enforcement have a good sense when something is not right and/or are very observant. Heck some even have night vision :) Wink Wink. Those guys love hunting just as much as the next person and will do anything to keep it from happening to themselves and others. Also, keep an eye out for certain vehicles who drive around there often, because normally it is probably someone half-way familiar with the area. Chances are if it was stolen at night, the person knows the area very well. If that is the case, try to smoke the guy out by making up a story of some sort and trying to catch him. I know with where I hunt, if I see a vehicle remotely in the area, I write the description and plate number down. That way if I have any problems, I'm one step ahead. I see your from South Central Iowa, I am around Des Moines. If you have questions, I would be willing to give you suggestions or help. I hate a thief as much as the next guy.

Locks only deter the casual tresspasser. It certainly doesn't hurt, but every tree stand and camera i've had stolen had cable locks on them. I never have figured out how to lock a climbing stik. One thing is for sure; it sucks walking up to your tree only to find your stand, camera, and climbing stik gone!

Top Bottom