Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Severly Demoralized! Kind of want to vomit!

AIRASSAULT

PMA Member
This year, I have struggled more than any other running trailcams. In fact, I had over 3000 pictures compiled with three different cameras on two different tracts of land all through most of August and July and got two pictures of one spike buck. The rest were does, turkeys, fawns, coyotes, groundhogs, and whatever else.
Yesterday, less than 3 weeks before the start of season, I find out that the tenant of one of my spots, whom has hunting rights to the land, decided to let the landowners relatives hunt instead of myself. I talked to him on the phone and he doesn't recall me asking him spring if I could bowhunt this fall :mad: which he said I could. I hunted there all fall last year. At first, I thought it sucked, but then, last year I didn't have many encounters with anything mature and being that most of the crop around it is in beans this year, didn't figure I would see much there anyway.
So, now I have 4 stands to pull and last night decided to get my trailcams out of there before anyone messed with them and go freakin figure: (The feeling I have right now is the "wounded/lost buck" feeling)

TRIPLE DROP-TINE :(
46792_448259354608_500039608_4772995_2275031_n.jpg

47780_448259454608_500039608_4772998_308632_n.jpg

47780_448259459608_500039608_4772999_7593896_n.jpg

47780_448259464608_500039608_4773000_3171919_n.jpg

47780_448259474608_500039608_4773002_5533596_n.jpg

47780_448259479608_500039608_4773003_4567503_n.jpg

Talk about a swift kick in the nads !! All you can do is try to stay positive. Hunting with a negative attitude just isn't any fun so do your best to stay upbeat.

Good luck.

With every closed door another opens...or something like that. Bummer

A few years ago I lost permission to my best spot at the last minute. 3 days later I arrowed my biggest buck on a new place. Stay positive:way:

Dude..... ouch......

I know how you feel! Keep on plugging, maybe try knocking on the next door neighbor's place :D

I know you'll get it done, you'll feel better in a few weeks.

:way:

HAPPENS TO ALL OF US. I've lost dozens of farms over the years to: them being sold, leased, family started hunting, too many guys and the list just goes on. My family had 4 farms when I started hunting, all 4 were PRIME. When my uncle died, they sold all the farms and he even gave one to the state to make it a conservation park.

I totally feel for you. I swear that in every case, I got my butt working, found other spots and got on big deer. To this day, I'm very pleased with my current hunting situation and it all worked out for the better. I am glad things unfolded the way I did- even losing DOZENS of farms along the way. I even had a few iffy farms that I chose to leave because hunting wasn't really good.

It'll work out, I guarantee it. Sucks though, totally understand. Get your butt out there with a plat book this weekend and aerials and get knocking!!! You'll find good farms. If you knocked on a ton of doors this weekend I guarantee you'll get 1 or 2 good farms (maybe get turned down 80% of time but you'll get something). Keep pluggin', sorry to hear that but it'll work out.

Airassault:

I would give it one more try. Go to the tenant and ask if you can just bow hunt? Show him the pictures and tell him how much time you have put in, offer to help him in the fall if possible.

The worst case scenario is that he will say "no" again. Best case is that he has a heart and sees the pictures and appreciates your honesty.

Those other people coming in there aren't going to know what they are doing and they'll have those two mature bucks run off the place in no time.

Airassault:

I would give it one more try. Go to the tenant and ask if you can just bow hunt? Show him the pictures and tell him how much time you have put in, offer to help him in the fall if possible.

The worst case scenario is that he will say "no" again. Best case is that he has a heart and sees the pictures and appreciates your honesty.

I would do this except I wouldn't show him the pics (or tell him what's on there). I don't know where you're located or what caliber of deer you have around the area, but around here, deer like that might make people do crazy stuff and the less people who know about it the better. JMO.

Regardless, it doesn't sound like you've lost the place forever. If he tells you no for this year, genuinely thank him for letting you hunt in the past & mabe put a bug in his ear about next year. Good luck with whatever happens!

I'm a firm believer in everything happens for a reason. Sure, you've been working hard all summer and running trail cameras, and now two nice bucks have showed up....but, go find some other ones somewhere else. Go find a new farm and run your trail cameras, set-up some stands, and kill a giant.

Then look back at what happened, and think to yourself, "Damn, that happened for a reason." :way:

I know it sucks, but things could always be worse.

It sounds to me like someone stumbled upon these bucks just before you and now they have interest in hunting it.

I had this happen to me and once I got pemisiiion to the 2 tracts next door....I was happy.

Stilll never seen the buck I wanted but still shot a very nice one.

I would not show him the picture. Once he knows or the new hunters knows there is a definite slob that will be the end of hunting. I made that mistake once. Now I don't let anyone else know what I get on camera. Word spreads too fast.

Cell Phone Plans

Really a educative and informative post, the post is good in all regards,I am glad to read this post.

Top Bottom