Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Sf 2026 CCW and deer hunting

Fishbonker

Life Member
I think this bill is to allow a concealed weapons permit holder to carry what ever caliber of hand gun they wanted to during any deer season that hand guns are allowed but to actually use the hand gun to hunt they would need to follow the law in rearguard to calibers allowed for hunting. In other words, I could carry a .22cal but I couldn't use it to legally kill a deer.

I would recommend reading the bill and drawing your own conclusions.

https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislation/BillBook?ga=86&ba=SF2026

If I read it right, I believe that this law allows carry permit holders to carry a handgun while bowhunting (they just can't use it to shoot the deer) Current law prohibits lawful carry while bowhunting, even if you have a permit.

If I read it right, I believe that this law allows carry permit holders to carry a handgun while bowhunting (they just can't use it to shoot the deer) Current law prohibits lawful carry while bowhunting, even if you have a permit.

That rule is set forth here:

106.7(6) Prohibited weapons and devices. The use of dogs, domestic animals, bait, rifles other than muzzleloaded or as provided in 106.7(5), handguns except as provided in 106.7(3), crossbows except as provided in 106.7(1), automobiles, aircraft, or any mechanical conveyance or device, including electronic calls, is prohibited, except that paraplegics and single or double amputees of the legs may hunt from any stationary motor-driven land conveyance. “Bait” means grain, fruit, vegetables, nuts, hay, salt, mineral blocks, or any other natural food materials; commercial products containing natural food materials; or by-products of such materials transported to or placed in an area for the intent of attracting wildlife. Bait does not include food placed during normal agricultural activities. “Paraplegic” means an individual with paralysis of the lower half of the body with involvement of both legs, usually due to disease of or injury to the spinal cord. It shall be unlawful for a person, while hunting deer, to carry or have in possession a rifle except as provided in 106.7(3) and 106.7(5). It shall be unlawful for a person hunting with a bow license to carry a handgun unless that person also has a valid deer hunting license and an unfilled transportation tag that permits a handgun to be used to take deer.

This is a portion of the Iowa Administrative Code made by the Natural Resources Commission and not covered under current or the proposed legislation.

The link to the NRC Administrative Code is here:
https://www.legis.iowa.gov/docs/ACO/chapter/571.106.pdf

Bottom line the proposed bill (SF 2026) would not effect NRC Administrative Code. If we wanted this changed it would be through petitioning the NRC and then goig through that process.

When I first read it I thought that they were allowing CCW while Bowhunting. I would like that and have thought about bringing it up here. But reading it again I think Bonner is right and it would not be allowed.

The part I really don't like is the language calling for the establishment of a specific pistol or revolver season. Would like to know when that would be. Not needed IMO. Looks like I'll be sending another letter to my reps.

The part I really don't like is the language calling for the establishment of a specific pistol or revolver season. Would like to know when that would be. Not needed IMO. Looks like I'll be sending another letter to my reps.

Copy and paste from the existing law. Key phrase in red:

One or more pistol or revolver seasons for hunting deer as separate firearm seasons or to coincide with one or more other fire arm deer hunting seasons.

The pistol/revolver season coincides with the other gun seasons now. This part of the legislation is not going to change if the new bill with the proposed changes does pass.

The intent of the bill, IMO is only to allow you to conceal carry the caliber of your choice while gun hunting deer but not changing the calibers of legal take.

I don't see a problem with this if is just says those with a permit to carry can carry when they are deer hunting. In fact, I'd be OK if that was extended to bow hunting. I suppose it could lead to some additional poaching, but I'm not sure we should give up our 2nd amendment right just because we are deer hunting (with a shotgun or bow). But, I could be missing an angle here...

Personally I believe that not being able to carry while bow hunting is an infringement. The 2 Amnd. does not restrict the right of when you can or can not carry. If you have a CCW permit, you have proven that you are capable of following laws and are of sound mind. f someone is going to poach, they are going to find a way no matter what laws are in place. Plus, a pistol is not going to make it that much easier to shoot farther than a bow.

Top Bottom