Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

sharpening a piece of junk (vid)

monty3777

The best way for me to keep from going crazy between hunts is to compete in KCBS BBQ comps. With all that knife work I realized I needed to learn how to sharpen. After a couple of years on whetstones I think I got the handle of things. I thought I'd post this just for fun. It's time to tune my hunting knives now that BBQ season is almost over :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icALGEg58p0

What is the leather and felt for???...Never seen that before

I use leather and felt to remove the burr. To me that may be the most important step. It's also a great way to keep knives sharp between sharpening sessions. Much better than a steel hone, IMO

How in the world do you keep the correct angle across the whole blade?????
I've always struggled with that.

How in the world do you keep the correct angle across the whole blade?????
I've always struggled with that.

Muscle memory. I do custom sharpening professionally so I get all the practice I need. I have a couple more vids of me sharpening Japanese knives. Scary sharp :)

When hand sharpening there is always a bit of wobble so there is a natural convexing happening. So I don't worry too much about wobble. It's inevitable.

It's getting impossible for me to leave my hunters and skinners alone because I'm so ramped up for deer season - -so it's kitchen knives until September :)

Top Bottom