Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Shed hunting permit

newfarmer

Not that I really am a big fan- but- the state is always looking for revenue right. How many out of state people come to Iowa to shed hunt. I still think we are behind the curve on camping permits and such for the state as well. Just saw and thought I’d share

5FF226D9-D42A-4C29-8C75-D9EE79371DE3.png

As long as residents aren't ever required to buy it, I might support it.

I do see it as a possible additional driving factor behind private property becoming locked down to make $ off of non-residents willing to pay for shed hunting. Possible.

I guess I would not care if it’s on public, but I don’t think they can charge you to shed hunt private land ?

I certainly would not buy a permit on land that I own .

When people come to iowa to shed hunt the revenue comes from staying there, and eating there. Does Iowa really need another controversial law?

When people come to iowa to shed hunt the revenue comes from staying there, and eating there. Does Iowa really need another controversial law?
Couldn’t the same argument go to Wyoming then? I mean- what if there was a shed season like out west?
This isn’t me being argumentative, just shared something I saw and thought I’d share to see what’s taking place in other states too

I guess I would not care if it’s on public, but I don’t think they can charge you to shed hunt private land ?

I certainly would not buy a permit on land that I own .
The way this one reads- public only. Obviously a different discussion as they have thousands upon thousands acres of public.
I’ve seen guys come to iowa with dogs, shed hunt publics, sell l the antlers at the antler auction. Sleep in their trucks, bring their food in coolers, and away they go. Im sure it happens out west a lot more (I just like the different perspectives from other states)

How do you compare Iowa to Wyoming? Wyoming has a lot more antlered animals. WT, muley, elk, moose....

Are you having problems with shed hunters?

You really think people are going to Iowa, sleeping in cars, eating food they brought, AND selling the antlers???

How do you compare Iowa to Wyoming? Wyoming has a lot more antlered animals. WT, muley, elk, moose....

You really think people are going to Iowa, sleeping in cars, eating food they brought, AND selling the antlers???
Well you can’t- and yes! If there is a buck to be made, people are doing it. Shocking I know. Happens a lot more then you might think

I see it every year. Personally, I'd be in favor of a permit for NRs to come and shed hunt public. It's getting "trendier" every year thanks to influencers (god I hate that word) and even companies popping up selling "shed season" clothing.

I see it every year. Personally, I'd be in favor of a permit for NRs to come and shed hunt public. It's getting "trendier" every year thanks to influencers (god I hate that word) and even companies popping up selling "shed season" clothing.

If you think the license would only be for NRs your kidding yourselves. Maybe the first year or two, but then everyone would need to have it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you think the license would only be for NRs your kidding yourselves. Maybe the first year or two, but then everyone would need to have it.

But here is the thing, as a resident, we are already buying a hunting license and paying habitat fee. This is specifically for the non residents (my opinion, anyone who uses the public lands should have to pay habitat fee, walkers, bikers, etc)... I know when I apply for a point in Colorado, I have to buy a small game license- even to not go out and use it. Its an option and you know it going in, why should Iowa be any different? Why should, Us as hunters, pay for the non hunters using the same lands that we do?
My in laws live next to one of the biggest public areas in the entire state, and trust me, there could be plenty of money made on nonresidents just snooping around, shed hunting, etc. 2 years ago, 2 older guys from MN and 8 shed dogs cleaned house. I talked to them just for pure curiosity on how the dogs worked. The worked their way from North Dakota (where they were from) through MN, and continuing down through to the Antler Auction. After that, they were heading out west to find sheds (stopping everywhere along the way) and go to the Jackson antler auction. We talked about many topics, they said it was easy money when they didnt have to pay. They also sort of said (without flat out saying it) that the dogs helped them search a little extra than the public as well.... right wrong or indifferent- I think a ton of people take advantage of it. You ever look to see what a piece of antler dog chew goes for in the store?? Suddenly everyone is selling dog chews...

Respectfully disagree, and if that appeared to be coming I'm confident the Iowa hunting community would make their voices heard to make sure that didn't happen.

• Haha
Reactions: HWC
But here is the thing, as a resident, we are already buying a hunting license and paying habitat fee. This is specifically for the non residents (my opinion, anyone who uses the public lands should have to pay habitat fee, walkers, bikers, etc)... I know when I apply for a point in Colorado, I have to buy a small game license- even to not go out and use it. Its an option and you know it going in, why should Iowa be any different? Why should, Us as hunters, pay for the non hunters using the same lands that we do?
My in laws live next to one of the biggest public areas in the entire state, and trust me, there could be plenty of money made on nonresidents just snooping around, shed hunting, etc. 2 years ago, 2 older guys from MN and 8 shed dogs cleaned house. I talked to them just for pure curiosity on how the dogs worked. The worked their way from North Dakota (where they were from) through MN, and continuing down through to the Antler Auction. After that, they were heading out west to find sheds (stopping everywhere along the way) and go to the Jackson antler auction. We talked about many topics, they said it was easy money when they didnt have to pay. They also sort of said (without flat out saying it) that the dogs helped them search a little extra than the public as well.... right wrong or indifferent- I think a ton of people take advantage of it. You ever look to see what a piece of antler dog chew goes for in the store?? Suddenly everyone is selling dog chews...
Don’t let these guys with their shed dogs fool you. Their 8 dogs aren’t cleaning house. And if they told you differently, they’re full of garbage.

I have a shed dog, who placed 4th at the 2019 World Shed Dog Championships. My dog isn’t a vacuum running around the woods and crossing property lines bringing back a mouthful of antler. And everyone that is being truthful about their shed dog will tell you the same.

I'm non res. I have more invested in one pref point than all your resident deer tags....Right now Iowa is holding about $240 dollars of my money. 4 points, $60 a piece. And I have nothing from Iowa. So we donate.

Don’t let these guys with their shed dogs fool you. Their 8 dogs aren’t cleaning house. And if they told you differently, they’re full of shit.

I have a shed dog, who placed 4th at the 2019 World Shed Dog Championships. My dog isn’t a vacuum running around the woods and crossing property lines bringing back a mouthful of antler. And everyone that is being truthful about their shed dog will tell you the same.
I've always been curious as to how effective a dog really is. I'd love to watch one work my property after I'm done. I know I miss plenty, the small ones for sure.

I'm non res. I have more invested in one pref point than all your resident deer tags....Right now Iowa is holding about $240 dollars of my money. 4 points, $60 a piece. And I have nothing from Iowa. So we donate.

I’m a res who spends hundreds on plots and habitat along with many hours of labor. I also bought every license to deer hunt and never punched a single tag. So we donate happily.

I’m a res who spends hundreds on plots and habitat along with many hours of labor. I also bought every license to deer hunt and never punched a single tag. So we donate happily.

Don’t forget our taxes we pay in this state

I'm for less permits and less Government nit-picking. Make sure you ask the Government permission for everything and pay a permit fee for everything too sounds like...freedom?

I've said it a hundred times and I'll say it again when you're sitting there in hunting camp during archery season with a kayak for fishing with your application fee, preference/bonus point fees for years, credit card fee, hunting license, conservation permit, habitat stamp, archery permit fee, parking fee, camping fee, inspected wood fee, campfire free, vehicle use fee, bathroom authorization use permit, gun carry permit, vehicle registration, drivers license, offroad vehicle authorization stamp, zebra mussel stamp, AIS sticker, water habitat improvement sticker, kayak boaters registration, trailer registration, trailer use permit, fishing license, trout endorsement, bass enforcement, fishing river permit, fishing pond permit, etc. etc. etc. you're gonna say to yourself...man I wish they would just make us get another permit and registration?

I'm for less permits and less Government nit-picking. Make sure you ask the Government permission for everything and pay a permit fee for everything too sounds like...freedom?

I've said it a hundred times and I'll say it again when you're sitting there in hunting camp during archery season with a kayak for fishing with your application fee, preference/bonus point fees for years, credit card fee, hunting license, conservation permit, habitat stamp, archery permit fee, parking fee, camping fee, inspected wood fee, campfire free, vehicle use fee, bathroom authorization use permit, gun carry permit, vehicle registration, drivers license, offroad vehicle authorization stamp, zebra mussel stamp, AIS sticker, water habitat improvement sticker, kayak boaters registration, trailer registration, trailer use permit, fishing license, trout endorsement, bass enforcement, fishing river permit, fishing pond permit, etc. etc. etc. you're gonna say to yourself...man I wish they would just make us get another permit and registration?
Spot on, more regulation is the last thing this country needs

Top Bottom