Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Shoot or Not

L

Little Al

As long as some are on the topic of to shoot or not when it comes to an albino pheasant or deer, what about the chance of coming across one of the stray mountain lions that are crossing our state. Sitting quiet in your stand you hear a twig snap and when you look over there is this mountain lion sneaking along the deer trail only 20 yds. away do you shoot or not? The law (if I heard right) says it is not illeagal to shoot. Or after deer season you and a couple of buddys are out doing a little fox or coyote hunting and you catch sight of this lion slipping down a fence line; do you set up to get him or pass the opportunity? Some say you don't shoot a wild animal just because it's there, yet what would a lion hunt out west cost? Any comments? Al

I thought I heard that they were protected now?? Maybe not...

While were on the subject I've got a great example of how wild stories get started....
"Rumor" has is that a farmer near Humbolt shot and killed a Mt. Lion as it was chasing his cattle. He buried the animal and several days later the DNR showed up with a search warrant and went directly to the spot the Lion was buried and proceeded to dig it up. They then told the farmer that they knew where the lion was because they had placed a "tracking chip" in the lion before it was released in Iowa. The story goes on to say that the DNR told the farmer that they have been releasing two lions a year in Iowa for the past several years.
I have been told this story to varying degrees by several different people, all say the story is absolutey true...I feel otherwise as there seems to be lots and lots of unbelievable pieces to the story...its amazing what people will believe....

Again, I do NOT think the story is true just thought you may get a laugh out of it as I do (althought I will say many people is this area believe the story to be gospel)
JB

I will not stake my life on it; but I thought I read somewhere that the right to shoot a moutain lion came up for a vote and they didn't get it voted out. So it would be legal to shoot. May be some else knows for sure? Sometimes it is fun just to hear every ones opinon. Al

I agree that nothing should be done un lawful. such as shooting an albino deer. but in states were it is legal. like shooting an albino pheasant here in iowa is legal. it would be a great oppurtunity.

if i had a mountain lion come in front of me when i was hunting it would go down. as long as you have a fur berrers it is legal so it is no different than shooting a yote or a fox so i would for sure take it down.

The thought of the Cougars in Iowa has me somewhat concerned, maybe I'm over cautious but living right on the DSM River Valley, where a few unconfirmed sightings and tracks have been reported and having two small children running the timber line make me think that i would not hesitate to have a cougar rug or full body mount to display. JMO

CH

I would take it out in a heart beat and skin it right on the spot for a nice rug infrount of the fireplace. I also heard that there was a bill to make it illegal to shoot mountain lions, cougars and bears in Iowa but it never made it to the floor of the house for a vote. They are a threat to children, and livestock. I have heard the same rumor from two different sources that have no connection to one another that the DNR has been releasing cougars and mountain loins in Iowa for the last couple of years.

Dead, yes if it came in front of me it would die!! For a couple of reasons, one I would be scared shitless being on the ground with that thing and two it would be my first time killing one. Altough I don't expect to see one in NW Iowa. Bottom line it goes down!!!!!!!!

Isn't this subject similar to talks about stray moose and bear that have traveled through Iowa? What were the decisions on those game animals? I thought it was illegal to shoot at stray moose in Iowa.

Top Bottom