Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Shoot or pass??- HELP!!

BDAHMS

Be here Now
I have literally hundreds of photos of this guy- and with each one I cant decided to shoot or not to shoot. Right now he is on the do NOT shoot list and I really want to see what he could turn into next year- do you think he has some future potential- could those stickers turn into something good?

1924362_802948328714_1041496259635803564_n.jpg
10370356_802948154064_1199472977822315089_n.jpg
1937497_802948193984_7778159488045247444_n.jpg

I have a deer with similar characteristics that I passed last year and he blew up this year...the way I see it is if your even questioning it and your confident he has no threat of being shot by a neighbor let him go another year

Any idea how old he is? He looks mature but shooting or passing is up to you. He could very well blow up and turn into something special, but he could also get smaller, shot, hit by a car, or a number of other things so it's definitely your decision and I don't think you can go wrong whatever you choose.

Only you can answer this question. The fact that you are questioning this makes me think you will feel better on a pass. It might be easier for you once the velvet is gone.

Good looking deer! With the way you are talking, you will be much happier if you pass, given the opportunity. But that decision is yours to make.

I think if I shoot him- I would have a case of "what would he have been next year". So no matter what he looks like come oct-nov. He will be passed. Can't shoot the monsters if you kill the nice ones. And Bill- cabin is ready for another fish fry- middle of November can't come quick enough!

How old do you think he is??

I honestly don't know- I have pictures where I thought he was younger and some make him seem pretty mature. I'm settling on 4? I definitely don't think he is old enough to decline in size- I think he has years to grow yet. How old would you say?

I can see it now the first time he comes by you might let him go but the second time you will cave in. I have many that come in to my shop with the same thing most of them cave in especially toward the end of season. There very few true trophy hunters out there

For me, it would come down to how well you like him in his present form and how many other deer you have that you would kill before him in their present form. Then I would ask myself what the risks are and what the rewards are, of letting him walk. Remember that not all deer "blow up" after 4. He could add 15 inches of non typ antler next year but it may cost him a G2 in the process. He just may not be as eye appealing to you next year. I know if decided not to kill him if given the opportunity, I would be searching hard in the spring for his left side!:D

how many nice deer do you have on the wall already????? would you be happy to shoot a deer this size?????? you need to answer that question yourself, if it was me id be happy with him and kill it

It's totally your call, but I live by the motto that if there is the slightest question or doubt about shooting - than the answer is te deer gets a pass.

How old would you say?

Those knotted up bases usually mean an older deer. Not always the case tho, but I would also put him as a 4 year old.

Which would make him a shooter for me, I'd like to get the neighborhood passing anything not fully mature. 4 is a hard enough sell right now so I'll roll with that.

There are other deer on the property that are going to score more than him that are on the shoot list - he is officially on the pass list and already excited about shed season- (well not as exited for bow season but close)

Making your case that you have a couple others that are bigger, then I'd say you are making the right decision on passing this year.

easy pass for me...I"m not hunting him. :p ...honestly you can't make the wrong call.

You're right, if you pass and he lives, he'll be fun to watch next year.

I passed two bucks in consecutive years, and the year after I passed them they were shot, but not by me.

I too would pass him, and if someone takes him this year or next year that is just part of hunting.

Top Bottom