Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Shoot or Pass

C

Christo13

I passed this deer during the rut just ten mins. before I killed my ten pointer. I have been hunting him but can't find him anywhere. I would like not to pass him a second time if the chance presents it self again. He should be a good one next year though.
5067llppook-med.JPG
5067iikkuujjhhy-med.JPG
WHAT WOULD YOU GUYS DO? NOW KEEP IN MIND I'M HUNTING IN MARYLAND.
grin.gif
laugh.gif
smile.gif
smirk.gif
crazy.gif
frown.gif
confused.gif

That decision is completely up to you! Without knowing your land situation, hunter pressure around your area, your buck situations...it's tough to give you my opinion.

For me...if he was on one of my properties that gets pounded and 99% of the hunters around there practice shoot anything you have a tag for, I'd shoot him. If he were on a couple others of mine, I'd let him go.

[ QUOTE ]
Let him go. If hes made it this long chances are he will make it again.

[/ QUOTE ]
waytogo.gif
If you get a crack at him next year again you with thank yourself bigtime he is a good buck and will be a tremendous buck next year. Good Luck with him.

In my opinion, if you've already passed on a buck because you don't think he's big enough...then let him walk again. Next year he will be very nice, and you won't have to think about it. The rule that I use....if you see him and if you have to contemplate shooting him or not, then he's not big enough. Wait for the one that you see, and you immediatley say to yourself..."SHOOTER"

I will let him walk and hope for the best next year. There are still some better deer then this one. This is actually from my video camera. I played it on the TV and took a pic of the TV. This pic below are some of the other deer that I videoed. WHAT DO YOU SAY THAT BIG GUY IS IN THE MIDDLE? 10,11,12 POINTER, BROKEN UP?With all that beam length I would say he is atleast an eleven
5067DSC04597-med.JPG

I have to say you've got yourself some good ground droptine! Given the bucks your showing in the 2nd pic, I would let him walk too. Thanks for sharing!

I was in the same situation earlier this year. I had a nice 8 pointer come in to the horns and I let him pass. I hope that he makes it through b/c next year he'll be a hell of a buck. But there are a lot of shot gunners that hunt it. So if there isnt any pressure let him go and he'll be a good buck especially with those brow tines.

I just had one last weekend that was questionable. I let him pass because he was walking to the east which is a neighbor that practices QDM and I figured he would let him walk. If he was walking west (slug city) the place gets ran 4-5 times a day during shotgun and they shoot anything will horns I would have maybe shot him and done a european mount. But I'm glad I let him walk because next year he'll be 3 1/2 and a really good buck hopefully.

Why would you pass on him once, then decide to take him? In my opinion, you never change your standards. It can be said two ways (or more);

NEVER SHOOT A BUCK ON THE LAST DAY THAT YOU WOULD PASS ON OPENING DAY

or

NEVER PASS A BUCK ON OPENING DAY THAT YOU WOULD SHOOT ON CLOSING DAY.

Had I not known that ten pointer was cruising this area with regularity I think for sure I would have shot him. <font color="blue"> THE BIG TEN BEFORE AND AFTER </font>
5067yyuyy-med.JPG
5067DSC04536-med.JPG

I'm the same as the rest of you guys, I want to shoot the biggest buck in the woods. It's what my dreams are made of and the reason I get out of bed on cold mornings to hunt. But I have to say that we need to harvest a deer that makes us happy. I think it depends on where we are in the country and what kind of land we have avaliable to us. I do agree that if I pass on a deer opening morning why would I take him on the last day. Good luck and hopefully a bigger buck crosses your path before he will.

Top Bottom