Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

shooting and neighbors

josh macfarland

I live 15 miles from any city limits sign and my neighbor cussed me out for shooting my pistol, sighing in my rifle, and for squirrel hunting. What do you think I should do? Oh, and by the way they called the cops on me saying I was shooting at cars going down the road! Which I was not! What should I do!?

arrow flinger

Start shooting in the middle of the night. Then all of a sudden the daytime shooting won't seem so bad. He/She sounds like a moron

If it isn't illegal then he has no basis to make you stop.

Just make sure you are doing it at a reasonable hour and not shooting towards his house.

Then tell him to get bent!!!

If it isn't illegal then he has no basis to make you stop.

Just make sure you are doing it at a reasonable hour and not shooting towards his house.

Exactly. If you have done nothing wrong, let the cops show up and graciously offer to show them everything and where you were shooting. If your neighbor has no proof that you were shooting at cars, then you are fine and a reasonable police officer will see that.

If you're from Iowa, you have to be a minimum of 200 yds away from any building or livestock feed-lot to shoot a firearm unless you have direct permission from the owner of said buildings or feed-lot... other wise, take nacho's advice and tell em to get bent!

explain to the neighbor where and what you are shooting at, then after that if they still don't like it, to bad! It's legal I wouldn't stop.

zattack10 said:
explain to the neighbor where and what you are shooting at, then after that if they still don't like it, to bad! It's legal I wouldn't stop.

He sayed I was shoot and bullets where landing on his land! He was on a running tractor the hole d@mn time! Bullets didn't land on his land. He's a little girl to he won't talk to my dad (he's a police officer his self). He'll only comes and complain when my moms home! I was shooting one day and he walk up to me and sayed to stop. I told him to get off the property or the ambulance was going to take him off the property!

arrow flinger

He sayed I was shoot and bullets where landing on his land! He was on a running tractor the hole d@mn time! Bullets didn't land on his land. He's a little girl to he won't talk to my dad (he's a police officer his self). He'll only comes and complain when my moms home! I was shooting one day and he walk up to me and sayed to stop. I told him to get off the property or the ambulance was going to take him off the property!

arrow flinger

Careful with your words when it comes to that. You are much better of asking him to leave respectfully and then if he doesn't leave that the authorities will be notified of a tresspasser....if you make a threatening gesture to him, or threaten him, things can be quickly turned around and you become in the wrong. Especially if he is a law enforcement officer, he may already be looking for angles. If he hasn't done something about it already, he prolly knows that there isn't anything that he can do. Just keep it legal and you will be fine. If he consistantly continues to come back, there may be grounds for harassment.

Well last yr i was at my farm 4 miles out of town i had a old deer target it had no legs so i got some tree branches for it to stand on i was shooting it with my muzzle to sight it in a day or two before shotgun. The guy down the road to see what was going on and laughed and we talk for awhile then all of a sudden there were cops and the dnr shows up. Oopps lol. They saw what wa going on and started to laugh about it. They said some called it in for poaching lol. On th plus side at least there ppl watching i guess

bearcatbaseball10 said:
Careful with your words when it comes to that. You are much better of asking him to leave respectfully and then if he doesn't leave that the authorities will be notified of a tresspasser....if you make a threatening gesture to him, or threaten him, things can be quickly turned around and you become in the wrong. Especially if he is a law enforcement officer, he may already be looking for angles. If he hasn't done something about it already, he prolly knows that there isn't anything that he can do. Just keep it legal and you will be fine. If he consistantly continues to come back, there may be grounds for harassment.

No my dad is a cop

arrow flinger

considering all that happened like a year ago... i wouldnt worry about it. oh and my neighbor sucks too

My neighbors are great! The one north of me only pheasent hunts but shoots his guns all the time onto our property and we don't care because we know he's being safe and knows what he's doing. Are other neighbor shotgun hunts with his buddies and shoots in there field. Oh, and the neighbor north of me shoots all the 'Yotes he sees.

spitndrum said:
considering all that happened like a year ago... i wouldnt worry about it. oh and my neighbor sucks too

No when trey was there he was shooting and he went and tried to raise cane

arrow flinger

Exactly. If you have done nothing wrong, let the cops show up and graciously offer to show them everything and where you were shooting. If your neighbor has no proof that you were shooting at cars, then you are fine and a reasonable police officer will see that.

Follow AZ hunter's advise.

No reason to start a feud with your neighbor.
It will tick him off more that you are being a nice guy
than it will starting a war with him.

Good Luck.

Be respectful about it, from your story, it sounds like the guy is over-reacting. Make sure you are shooting into a good backstop and if its all legal, there is nothing they can do about it.

Top Bottom