Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Short afternoon hunt

KPM

Life Member
568-cid__0416111538.jpg

I planned on staying in bed if it was windy and raining Saturday am and sure enough it was. I packed some food and clothes and headed for the cabin around 11 to eat and hunt until dark. We met and had lunch and made plans for a pm hunt. As I was grabbing some last minute things I looked out the window and there was a strutter in the pasture part of the timber. I changed my hunting plans and location to this timber. I grabbed my gear and started the long walk to get ahead of this bird and have the hurricane wind help him hear me. After getting the blind and decoys set, I gave a few yelps to see if he would answer. Nothing on the first series so I wait 5 minutes and hit it again. My son thought he heard a gobble so i gave him a few more yelps and clucks. This time I heard him and he was moving our way. Let out a few purrs and he double gobbled. It was time to get ready and let him come on in. He came in like he was on a string along with another in tow in full strut. Ryan was ranging them and looking them over for me as I got ready. He started in at 42yds then it was 38 then 32 and you want the one on the left. He kept counting them down and they were charging right in and I got on the left bird and when he told me 12yds he got throat punched and he told me I shot the wrong one. Apparently his idea of left is different than mine. His buddy stayed for a long time and he appeared to be a better bird, but I am happy with this one. I checked my watch when I set up the blind and it was 23 minutes later when I arrowed him. Not the best I have shot and I can't count all the points for the contest since he has an 11"& 6" beards. But he was 21.25# 11" beard 7/8" & 1" = 62.00 for contest 74 actual.
I hope to get a bigger one and be able to win this contest 2 years in a row and be able to collect my prize. The deer shoulder mount that was promised as the grand prize last year never happened and the moderators here tried to make it right but it was out of there hands. If I had to do it all over again I would have picked one of those sweet wing bone calls.

Good luck to all still hunting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom