Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Short But Sweet

Liv4Rut

My muzzleloader started last monday, I had the whole season off and big plans, little did I know that it would be alot shorter than I had expected. Monday morning I found myself with two doe tags burning a whole in my pocket and decided that I would try to fill them. I got settled into a stand that I knew would produce. Shortly after daylight I had a big doe coming right down the trail, I pulled up and put the crosshairs behind the shoulder and pulled the trigger. Sweet doe number 5 for the year was down. I quickly reloaded knowing there was more deer in the area. When I got all realoaded I looked around a bit and didn't see anything, so I was looking at my big doe and I heard something. I looked down the same trail and here came another big doe with a yearling. She was really spooky and eventually saw me. She turned broadside at 20 yards trying to wind me, Big mistake, I settled the cross hairs and squeezed the trigger, awesome doe number 6 is down, and now I have filled both of my muzzleloader doe tags, I was pumped.

That afternoon after dragging out my does, I hooked up with Scott IC and The
Roosta off the site, to try to shoot some bucks. WE made the 3 hour drive to our hunting spot and hunted till wednesday night, we didnt see much but alot of does and small bucks. We were all kind of depressed, and left thursday morning because The Roosta had to get to work. It was a long 3 hour drive of trying to figure out a game plan for me that evening. Finally The Roosta introduced a plan to me of a place he hunted alot last year. I figured what the heck I knew it was a great spot and I knew exactly which tree to hang my stand in. I got there early and took my new lonewolf on it's maiden voyage. I set up in the corner of a big pine timber that overlooked a cornfield edge, that was bordered by a huge timber that was a huge sanctuary. I just had a feeling that I was gonna see a good buck and if anything came out, I could get a shot. I knew the deer wouldn't move until later and I sat down and watched around a hundred turkeys milling out in the field. Around 3:30 I had a train come by me, which was inbetween me and the timber the deer would come out. I kept thinking how am i gonna see a deer with this going on, then about 3:45 the train came rolling back by. I knew they were done for the night and it was time to get serious. I watched the field edge just hoping for something to come out. I expected any moment for a bunch of does and small bucks to come out in the field. A little after 4 oclock I heard the infamous sound of a deer crossing the train tracks, I didn't think much of it, until I saw a Big rack go down in the ditch and come popping up into the field I was in, only 40 yards away. I knew immediately I was gonna shoot him and I grabbed my gun. I made a huge mistake with my gun, the whole time it was subzero temperatures i kept putting it in my warm car and into the cold, which turned to be a big mistake, from condensation. I pulled up my gun and settled the crosshairs behind the shoulder for any easy bow shot, I squeezed the trigger and POP went the primber, SON OF A BOOOOOOOOOM!!!!! I can't believe it, my gun misfired from my own stupidity missing the deer by a mile from the huge delay in the shot. I whip off my gloves and am fumbling around digging out a quickloader and a bullet. I get it all reloaded and can't even feel my hands anymore. I pull up my gun, but to my suprise he wasn't there. I figured I blew my chance and checked out through a little lane I cleared around the point I was on, and there he was walking broadside about 120 yards away, I pulled up my gun, settled it on a limb and pulled the trigger. The deer dropped in it's tracks, and I just sat there in disbelief in what had just happened. I couldn't feel my hands at this point and reloaded a gain and scurried out of the tree. I walked over there and stood over my best buck to date. I called my dad and a few other friends, and then the reality sunk in, I wouldn't be able to get my buck out that night. All I had was the beastly saturn and I knew PERF mode wasn't gonna get me out of this mess. So I field dressed him and layed my coveralls over him to keep the coyotes away, and went home without my buck. The next morning my dad and a buddy helped me get him out of the woods and I felt much much better. We put a tape to him later and he ended up grossing 160 1/8 and netting 154 7/8. My muzzleloader season was quick and short, I guess I got the rest of the season off to get a bow buck now, and a few more does
smile.gif

Nice Buck Mike! Congratulations! Excellent photo. I can hardly wait to hear the story.
waytogo.gif

Great pics and a great buck Liv...Congrats...now just get back out there with the bow and seal the season deal

Real nice buck Micheal.
grin.gif
I got my doe out of the way Sunday afternoon and will be back at it again Friday. It's nice because the place is pretty uncrowded this year.
grin.gif

You were lucky to have him hang around after the missfire,you had to be shakin bad try'in to get your gun reloaded.That is an absolute pig!!
Great job Mike!!!
waytogo.gif
waytogo.gif
waytogo.gif

Great story, I don't know about anyone else but it makes me want to start talking about all of the time I made thing harder than they had to be. Congrats Mike.

Top Bottom