Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Shot a good one and need help

smokepole

Shot a deer quartering away and did not get a pass through. The shot seemed to be right were I would have wanted it. The arrow went in all the way to fletch and the other end of the arrow sticking out about 2 inches behind the far side leg and about 3-4 inches up. He did the mule kick when arrow connected and took off out into the corn field about 100 yards out and stop. Over the next 20 - 30 minutes he made his way around a finger and came back my way, but still about 60 yards out and walked back into the timber. At one point I could here a deep sound like air being let out of a balloon and thought he was done. It is pretty think area and I could hear him running when he got into the timber. My theory is that when he got in the timber the arrow was rubbing up against the brush and causing irritation. I gave him about an hour before I got down and walked to were he entered the timber on my way to the truck. I did not go in after him in hopes of not bumping him. There was some blood, but not what I would expect given the shot placement. Anybody have any thoughts? I am going to let him lay over night and go out to look in the morning.

Sounds like you hit him pretty good, how high up was the entry hole compared to the exit. If it is how I am invisioning it (3-4 inches up on the exit and a little over half way up on the entrance) you more than likely hit stomach, liver and caught the opposite lung (one lunged him). Good idea to back out, he will be dead in the morning. Let us know when you find him

Kratz

I would say liver and and one lung!! Hes a goner, but it'll be a bit. Good call waiting till morning. youll find him. and my guess is its far enough forward hopefully the meat will be good!

Went in this morning and tracked him about a 1/2 mile with decent blood at times. He would not jump any fences. At the end of the trail, I jumped him. He is bigger than I thought. I backed out as soon as this a happened. He is still spraying blood, but is smells like guts. The shot must have been further back. Any chance of finding him at this point? If so, should I wait until tomorrow morning to look for him again?

wait till the morning man. how did he run? did he bound. was he by water. what did he head towards. did he do anything crazy on his trail. is the arrow still in him!!

He bounded away across a creek and up a hill. So, yes he was about 20 yards off a creek. The arrow was about 20 yards inside the timber and my arrow wrap was covered in good red blood. His tail was up when I bumped him this morning, but not last night when I shot him. I don't think he was on his feet last night. The area he ran to is not nearly as thick as the area I tracked him through.

Definitely got him through the intestines, if he's a big buck he'll definitely be able to survive a while from a hit like that just from pure will to live. I'd give it another day, he'll expire, show us the pics when you find him.

Yeah, he is definitely a mature deer. I field judged him at 150, but when I bumped him he is at least 170. His body size distorted my guess on his rack in the field.

Sounds like the buck I shot last year...not very promising, unless he "opened" back up and is still leaving some blood to follow.

Let the cold night wear him down/finish him off. He won't got far from the water due to the hit...plus with the cold setting in he may head for some THICK-STUFF.

I'd leave him until midday tomorrow and if you have a dog I'd take it along on a leash. Hope you have better results than I did.

One thing you have over my deer last year is that you saw the exit wound... If it was where you said, that deer will definitely die.

I think it may be a good thing that I bumped him today, because it got the blood flowing again. He was spraying pretty good after I bumped him. Wish me luck!

Found him! Went out this morning and picked up blood where I bumped him and followed it another 1/4 mile. We couldn't find anymore blood, so I circled around down by the creek. When I looked up the side hill, there he was. The yotes were into him. Will post pictures later.

Top Bottom