Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Shot Deer - "Need help"

HuntNFish

Help Needed,
I really need to get this out. Nov 7th evening hunt. terrible weather, 1st time I have ever pulled up due to weather. 5:10 decided to still hunt back to truck I got 100yds from the stand and something catches my eye, I stopped and settled in between a couple of trees... I grunted, it Grunted, I grunted, from the time I grunted to the time I shot was no more than 20sec, as we all know not the easiest thing to do. Anyway the deer was clearly the biggest I have ever taken aim on in 15 yrs of bow hunting. I pulled up and shot , thudd, the deer then rushed of with the away side leg up at a trot. this shot was brodside at at less than 15 yds. Dead deer right???
Well that is my question??? Snowing, raining, I probally should have let the deer sit longer, but I was scared we wouldn't be able to track at all in the morning with the weather. 6:15 We start tracking. The deer went 80 yards and jumpd the fence. There was my arrow. Alot of Lighter colored blood all the way down the shaft and covering the blazers. Two of the rage blades were bend, but not bad and one was not fully deployed angled to the front of the head looked as if some of the hide stopped it from working properly. For the next 6HRS hrs we tracked the deer. The trail was steady at the most we may have gone 10ft without blood but no further , where the deer slowed to a walk every foot or two we could find some blood, The snow made it tough to find the blood and this just got worse as the night went on. This was the pattern for a little less than 2 miles: 2 flashlights, 2 hay fields, 2 soybean fields , a corn field and halfway across a CRP field (of which had more pheasants than the whole rest of the county). Then it stoped right smack dab in the middle of the crp field it stopped. I shoot a mathews switchback at 70lbs, 3blade rage broadheads, and Axis ST arrows, we should have blown throw the thing at that distance. I sit here sick tonight, The biggest trophy yet... Gone... my question is what's next I will check for blood tomorrow , but I have a feeling the snow tonight wil cover it up, I just want to know your thoughts, is this deer dead, where have you noticed deer head to die. Only small patches of timber through out the areas with a creekline 1/2 mile away from last blood. What would you do?

P.S the rut is on... saw a doe get bred this moring and far more bucks than does running for the first time this year.

Had a similar situation a couple of years ago. When the blood ran out the deer still went about 250-300 yards and died. My advice is if he was heading in a fairly straight direction then keep going he is laying close.

Sounds like you could have smacked the shoulder. I helped track a deer for a freind a few years ago that was hit like that. We kept pushing him until he had bled enough that he had no energy left when we finally caught up to him. Good luck........

The only thing to do is to get some buddies together and leave no stone unturned. Good chance he has expired.

HNF,
I feel your pain brother. If it's a shoulder, that same thing happened to me this year on my first night on stand. I didn't have blood for 2 miles though, that's a long way for a wounded deer to travel and not expire. I'm really pulling for you on this one man. Hopefully the snow stays away and you can give it another shot. If not, try stomping out those small timbers and hope for the best. Worst case, keep an eye out for crows/predators during the next couple weeks. A rack salvage wouldn't be your first choice I'm sure but being the biggest buck you've shot yet, it'd sure be better than nothing at all.

Re: Shot Deer - "Need help"

Reminds me of a buck I shot a few years ago on a cool November day. It was 12:00 noon and I was just wrapping the straps of my Ol'Man climber to a nice maple tree. A grunt and glint of antler in the thicket got my attention, I dropped my pack and nocked an arrow. As he busted out of the plumb thicket I shot him at 10 yds with his head down but I hit him a little forward in the shoulder. Got about nine inches of penetration and found my broken arrow about 40 yds from the shot. I laid down and took a nap, giving him time to expire. Fourteen hours of solid tracking that night and the next day and a half left me feeling sick to my stomach. My wife ended up finding him later about 150 yds from where I lost blood and gave up. If you don't find him get some buddies and grid search the thickest low lying areas in the direction he was heading. If all else fails listen for feeding crows by day and coyotes by night. Good luck.

When all else has failed me I use the terrain to tell me where the deer probably went....typically downhill. A deer that is having a hard time and feeling ill due to blood loss will typically take the easiest route to some sort of cover where it feels safe. Grid patterning works great but before i grid pattern i will let the terrain guide me and eye every little pocket of cover or anything that looks out of place. Looking for a deer after losing blood becomes a little like shed hunting. Walk slow and look at everything. Best of luck, I hope you are able to find him

Nothing yet guys, looked from 9 - 2 on saturday then back in the stand with pain that won't seem to go way. Talk about a vivid memory on replay...

I got back on blood on saturday morning then after another 1/4 mile lost it again. He seemed to be heading towards the nearest timber covering ever rubbed tree on the way. Then I lost the blood only yo find one dime size trace 150 yds away going to lower ground. I didn't check the bottom just to much area to cover, but I will yet. The bottom has a pond on it, it gets wet and has a corn food plot of about five acres. Has anyone had a deer bleed for over two miles and feel that the deer is still alive?

With things starting to move I quess my question is this deer recoverable, has the dear expired, or is my limited free time better spent in the stand?

If he's only losing a dime size amount of blood now and then he could go forever. Depending on how much he lost to begin with. But you could track for days if he's losing small amounts of blood.

Top Bottom