Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Shot gunners???

blakesburg

PMA Member
I take it that this weekend has been slow so far for the gunners. I figured this site would be exploding with pics and stories. Maybee today>:way:

I sure expected some pics by now. The conditions couldn't be better today up here in north central iowa. Couple inches of snow on the ground and temps around 30 or so. I am going second season but am constantly checking here for harvest pics and am not seeing any!

Slow for us is an understatement. No bucks that were worth taking for our group, except two, and neither one of those presented shots to either of my brothers (one was pushing a small slough and the buck got up in some thick grass and my brother had a flank shot but passed, and the other was a mature 6 point while my older bro was sitting and he came flying through the shooting lane yesterday midday and caught my brother completely off guard due to the complete silence, and my brother pry wouldn't have taken the running shot anyway). Saw quite a few small bucks and does, and most of them got a pass due to the decline of deer we have seen. I killed one doe in different section where there seems to be more deer in a smaller area, but that is it for our 6 hunters so far.

bigbuckhunter88 said:
Slow for us is an understatement. No bucks that were worth taking for our group, except two, and neither one of those presented shots to either of my brothers (one was pushing a small slough and the buck got up in some thick grass and my brother had a flank shot but passed, and the other was a mature 6 point while my older bro was sitting and he came flying through the shooting lane yesterday midday and caught my brother completely off guard due to the complete silence, and my brother pry wouldn't have taken the running shot anyway). Saw quite a few small bucks and does, and most of them got a pass due to the decline of deer we have seen. I killed one doe in different section where there seems to be more deer in a smaller area, but that is it for our 6 hunters so far.

We sat in the rain..... The first deer we seen was at 820 am. The deer was walking fast broadside to me at 40 yards. I could not believe i missed. The deer was a 165 plus 10 point. I was sick. I have been hunting deer for 36 years! Buck fever is alive and well.
After missing the first one the 2 nd & 3rd deer walked in 30 minutes later. I shot at the 3rd one. 80 yards broadside. After a 25 minute wait we went looking. My buddy on deer number 1 me on number 2. Never found any blood for the first one but my buddy headed off in the direction he went. I went after #2 . I found him down. I stood there and my buddy yelled he was on a heavy blood trail. He followed it right to me! Deer #2 was 12 feet from us as we talked for a couple minutes. Then the deer got up running. We just looked at each other. I had been standing there almost10 minutes! We gave chase until he crossed the road into the neighbors. We watched him go in and lay down. We backed off and wait 1 hour. Went back walked in to him, still alive and we backed out again & went to. Neighbor and asked if we could go in with gun. We went back and finished him. 9 points about 170 lbs. average deer but did not want to die!!

Our group saw lots of deer today, they were out moving like crazy. We got a total of 7 today, 1 huge doe. I shot 4 myself, I was considered "ol dead eye." Honestly, they were pretty much all luck and being in the right spot. I didn't see a mature buck all weekend, a couple were seen and shot at though.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using IW

I'll admit, that's why I was checking out this forum today! I figured it would be full of monster gun kills today ?!?

i had shot a giant 10 point on saturday, i think liver shot. we trailed him an entire section in the rain, but as soon as the blood was coming out the rain was washing it away. we finally ran out of blood and just searched but no luck. however sunday afternoon i shot about a 150 inch 8 with a couple kickers. my dad has the deer now to get processed i'll put up pics as soon as he emails them to me.

Should've had a solid 130s 4.5 8pt down yesterday but the muzzleloader miss fired. Lots of deer moving, natural movement I might add. They're hitting the food, mature bucks too!

Only 2 hunters for us this weekend, stand hunting only, no driving. Saturday was pretty uneventful for us in the deer timber as we skipped the rain infested morning hunt and then got drenched that evening anyway. :D We stayed out of our better areas due to unfavorable wind directions, but saw no deer Saturday evening and we sure didn't see many out and about while traveling to/from, etc.

Sunday AM - preferred wind, good stands, no deer killed. Some possible opportunities, but no shots taken. Passed up 3 small'ish to absolutely tiny bucks and some doe/fawns.

Sunday PM - saw some movement, I shot a real big doe, passed probably the same small bucks from the AM.

Monday AM - my friend shot a real nice buck, probably a 150"+ 11 pt, but an oldie for sure, on a different property fairly early, but he was seeing some movement before that. The locker in Washington told him it was the biggest one they got this weekend.

Overall...deer numbers are definitely down. I know taxidermists that will tell you they are getting the deer in they normally do, lockers...same thing.

Top Bottom