Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Shot placement/scenario vs. broadhead

KSQ2

PMA Member
I had the privilege of shooting my first deer this year yesterday evening. It was a young doe that ought to treat the tastebuds quite well this-coming year. Everything was perfect about the evening except the blood trail. Here's what happened:
I shot the doe quartering away at about 12 yards. She ran about forty yards and I watched her pile up. My wife arrived about 45 minutes later and by then it was pretty dark. She loves to follow blood trails, so even though I knew exactly where the doe layed, we went to the arrow and started to follow. The shot was a complete pass through and the arrow was buried in the ground about 2 inches or so. Here's the problem, there was no blood, we found a couple of drops by the arrow and not one more until we walked up on the deer. The doe was laying on the exit side and there was only a spot about the size of a softball on the ground underneath her. Now when we rolled her over blood poured out the entrance hole pretty good. We even backtracked a little way from the doe and still found no blood.
I've included some pics to show you shot placement. Internally the arrow pierced the right lung and center-punched the heart.
I was shooting an 85 gr. montec with a cutting diameter of 7/8". Is the broadhead the problem? Or was it just an unusual shot exit wound that caused the lack of blood. As you can see the exit wound was low enough, but it came out the opposing front leg, in front of the bone.
What are your thoughts?

2010-12-10090708.jpg

2010-12-10090605.jpg
2010-12-09182624.jpg

One initial thought is that, if you hit the heart, it will stop pumping blood immediately and may very well not push blood out of the entrance or exit wounds. I'm far from an expert on these matters as I've only taken one deer ever with a bow and she went less than 20 yards (backtracked a good blood trail from double lung shot). However, my science background, including anatomy and physiology, says if the heart's not pumping, no blood will come gushing out; more than likely the blood will pool in the chest cavity, which I've seen frequently on rifle-heart-shot deer. The exit wound in the leg is a good possibility as to why no major blood pool was found when you recovered her, especially since she was laying on the exit wound. Was the chest cavity filled pretty good?

I just re-read what I posted and realized my "anatomy and physiology" comment sounded condescending. Certainly not intended. I meant it in more of a discussion to see if anyone else has good real-world experience that contradicts my limited real-world archery hunting experience. So, has anyone seen where a heart shot still contributed to a good blood trail?

Azhunter, no worries, your tone did not seem condescending whatsoever. And yes, the doe's chest cavity was holding much blood. That is an intersting theory, most deer I've taken have been the double lung shots like you mentioned. This might be the first time I've hit the heart so directly.

I shot my elk this year with a 100 grain G5. I chose them for penetration guarantee, but was less than pleased with the non existent blood trail. Looked 1 hour plus for a lung shot elk that only went 150 yards.

I've always been amazed at how far a deer can run with a huge hole in their heart or the top completely missing...and leave no blood trail whatsoever!

My friend shot a deer just as you described earlier and we found it not more then 50 yards from the shot with not an ounce of blood on the ground until we reached the body. Once we got him opened up the chest cavity was full. Most of my kills have not been so easy (single lung hits, high hit, etc...) and had great blood trails but the deer was also not "dead on there feet" as you had with this doe as well as my friends buck described earlier.

Top Bottom