Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Shot The GPR Flint

Shovelbuck

I got this Great Plains Rifle over a month ago from Blake and can't believe I hadn't taken it out for the maiden voyage until today.:eek:
I had a large piece of cardboard to put the target on so I headed right back to 75 yards to see where she was hitting. If it was off paper, I would move closer and start the sight in process. After getting out to the range, I discovered I had forgotten my sand bags so what the heck, I shot it off hand. Luck was on my side today and it was on paper with the first shot. Not my best off hand shooting by any means, but it's a start to work up an accurate load. This was loaded with 80 grains of FFF, a .490 ball with .018 patch. I need to try a larger ball or thinker patch as this combo loaded a bit on the loose side. All in all, I'm happy with the first three shots.:way:

picture.php

Good shot string for a firearm that you are shooting for the first time.

I hope you enjoy the GP flintlock. :way:

Good shot string for a firearm that you are shooting for the first time.

I hope you enjoy the GP flintlock. :way:

It's fun to shoot. Ignition was great and the gun "hangs" well on target. It's close now with this load. Off a bench it would be a pretty tight group. But as I mentioned, it loads pretty loose with this combo. I like them to load a bit tighter as this allows for no need to swab between shots plus give better accuracy. I'll get some heavier patch material and that should get it dialed in where I want it.:way:

I've been working on the load a bit for this gun and can say it's ready for hunting. I switched from .018 to .028 thick denim for patch material and it tightened things right up. If i was shooting competition, I could even go up in ball size from .490 to .495, but this load makes for a great hunting setup.
80 grains of FFF GOEX, half of a fiber wad, non-lubed, and the lubed square denim patch holding the .490 ball. Gun is sighted in dead on hold at 75 yards.
DSCN1838.jpg

The wind was gusting to 25 mph while shooting today so that didn't help matters. I shot this target just resting over the hood of the truck at 75 yards. The second shot went right where I knew it would go when I touched the trigger.:eek: Far right!:eek: Settled down after that pull and laid the last two on top of each other.
DSCN1835.jpg

I'm not concerned about the last 2 being a little left, with the sun coming in from the side instead of behind me, iron sights can play tricks on a person.

Last edited:
Top Bottom