Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Shotgun 1

Hardwood11

It is going to be a good fall!
We are hunting Shotgun 1...friend (military vet) is hunting as well. Warm weather is predicted. We are hunting some nice ground (private).

Any tips? Ponds? Funnels?

I would hunt funnels. If the neighbors are hunting I would try and focus on the areas where they could bump deer on the way to their stands, or if they are pushing focus on where those deer could end up.
Otherwise get in the middle of a bedding area and sit tight and let the deer filter in.

I am going to be sitting on a nice saddle on a huge ridge. Last year I noticed every deer I saw went up the saddle as it was easiest place for them to scale the ridge and then drop over to the other side. We will see what happens.

Find low lying areas, caught Two nice bucks traveling a dried up creek bed today. That's what I'll be hunting, but if you can't find a low point hunt standing crops, that would be your best bet.

At first light I'll be setting in a stand where I can take advantage of normal travel patterns but once I hear the 1st shot in the big timber bordering the farm I will stalk my way to my observation stand where numerous deer funnel past escaping the orange army. the party that pushes the big timber doesn't typically start till a couple hours after sun up.

Most drives start around 10? Do they continue to push all afternoon. We sat last year during the slug season first two days and saw very few hunters pushing, but then again, the weather was terrible

Hardwood11 said:
Most drives start around 10? Do they continue to push all afternoon. We sat last year during the slug season first two days and saw very few hunters pushing, but then again, the weather was terrible

Alot of the time we did drives, we started pushin from Sun up.

Depends on the group. When I used to drive most of our group split up and sat in stands on different properties for a couple hours then got together and did some pushing. There are a lot of guys that start at sun up too

I was curious as well how the warm weather will effect the deer. We usually get in the timber a little before sun up, sit for a while then get up and start moving around.

How will the weather effect the deer and their movement?

Look for small hiding places like woolly fence rows or terraces and water ways. I think with the warm temps the deer didn't really bunch up in the big heavy timbers around where I've been scouting and been seeing a few nice bucks already in the smaller non hunted looking areas. The group around me don't push until about mid morning then make another push late afternoon.

Doesn't mean the bigger bucks won't filter in or at least through when the pressure hits. Plus we are in the Midwest. There are 130 class deer everywhere wether people see them or not

Doesn't mean the bigger bucks won't filter in or at least through when the pressure hits. Plus we are in the Midwest. There are 130 class deer everywhere wether people see them or not

Inside joke...there are nice deer there, just have to sit tight and see what comes by

I think I am gonna get myself down in the river bottom and sit. Hopefully a nice one comes by trying to get by everyone! :way:

Top Bottom