Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Should have been

IADEERHUNTER

Had a nice 8 point buck come in on Sunday about 8:00a.m., he was in the trees in front of me, this buck did not respond to grunting so I hit him with the bleat can, this dudee could not come running fast enough. I had this buck at less than 5 yards when I shot, my shot angle must have been to steep, the entrance hole looked perfect, right behind the front shoulder, complete pass through, watched this buck move 15 yards and stop...he stood still for 15- 20 minutes then walked off, I was sure he would be piled up down the hill. I waited about an hour before looking for him, great blood everywhere, dark rich blood, no deer, My only thought was punched the belly on exit...I have spent 5 hours looking for this buck no luck. I hate this feeling, should have been a chip shot.I will keep looking for him everyday that I hunt, but will take another deer if lucky enough to get another shot.

Did your arrow stink? Dark red blood sounds like a liver hit and him standing still for a long time does as well. He's dead somewhere close by if you didn't push him too far. Maggs

I agree with Maggs. Don't give up looking for him. I think he is dead somewhere in the vicinity of where you shot him as long as you didn't push him. Keep looking and you may end up finding him!

That is what I thought also was a liver shot...I waited for an hour and half before looking, my arrow did not smell lke a gut shot, but the blood was awfull red and thick, I have searched the timber even walked the creek line, no luck...I will look again today, i will find him eventially.

I had a liver shot on a 14 pt. last year.Hit at about 4:00 pm and decided to back out knowing it was not the perfect shot and herd him crash about 100 yrds away but did not want to bump him.My son and I went to look for him at about 8:00 the next morning and found him where I last herd him fall,the kicker was he was still alive 14 hrs later.He had just enough gas to get to his legs but stumbled and went back down where I was able to finish him off with another arrow.I know if I would of looked for him after the shot I would have bumped him and may have not found him. I have found it always better to wait then take a chance of bumping them.I would do a grid search and also look near water sources.Good luck!!

If there is water nearby creek or pond I would check that I have seen alot of liver and or gut shot deer hit the water.

GOOD LUCK!

I was with my brother earlier this year and I watched him from my stand shot a little doe from about 15 yrds. As the deer ran off I got my Bino's on her and could see that the shot was a little back. She ran to the top of the hill and laid down. We waited until after dark and made our way to her. It had been a couple of hours since she was shot and she laid there in a pile. She was hit in the liver and she ended up running almost 300 yds. When you hit a deer back you can't push them. They are a lot stronger willed than you think they are.

still no luck, 4 of us are going out Friday, we are going to try to cover every inch of the bottom ground, that damn buck has to be somewhere with all of the lost blood, kind of makes me wish that I had got down and tryed for a second shot or something different.

Top Bottom