Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Should I clean Muzzleloader?

BH 209 is suppose to be measured by volume, not weight. It gives you the Volumetric equivalent to black powder on the container. I read either on Iowa Whitetail or another hunting forum were they weighed charges by volume then weighed them in grains. There is a big difference. Just don't want to see someone getting a breech pug in their face because the measured the wrong way.

BH 209 is suppose to be measured by volume, not weight. It gives you the Volumetric equivalent to black powder on the container. I read either on Iowa Whitetail or another hunting forum were they weighed charges by volume then weighed them in grains. There is a big difference. Just don't want to see someone getting a breech pug in their face because the measured the wrong way.

90 grains by weight is the equivalent of 120 by volume which is the max load you can shoot...I shoot 120 grains by volume out of my encore with a Bergara barrel...tack driver out to 300 yards!!!

90 grains by weight is the equivalent of 120 by volume which is the max load you can shoot...I shoot 120 grains by volume out of my encore with a Bergara barrel...tack driver out to 300 yards!!!
not to be picky but 84 grains by weight is equal to 120 grains by volume. I'd have to look it up again to be certain but I believe you multiply the grains by volume by .7 to get the correct weight.

90 grains by weight is over the max load! And a waste of powder in my findings. I shoot 77 grains by weight in my encore.
I encourage everyone to see just what their gun is actually burning by shooting through a cloth or paper towel say a foot in front of the barrel.
Yeah my gun shoots decent with 120 grains by volume but according to a paper towel 12" from the muzzel I'm wasting unburned powder. Play around a little bit
Find what your gun shoots the best and then figure out why from there. Every TC barrel I've played with shoots 100-110 grains by volume the most consistent and accurately

Like Rich77 said, your gun will tell you what it likes, some will do better with 90 gr and some will tighten the group up and be more accurate at 110 gr, then there are some that like 120 gr MAX for BH 209. When working up a load and it starts to tighten the group up, and then it starts to open up when you added more powder, you went to far and you have an idea as to what your gun likes and is more accurate with.

The main reason I shoot 84 grains by weight is because it makes my load I shoot match up to the bdc dots on my scope. I did shoot less with tight groups but had a lot of drop at 200 yards compared to using 84 grains by weight. I get a nice tight group using the max load in my encore. To the person who had trouble during the cold with misfires, do you shoot a CVA and did you buy a breach plug for blachorn? CVA's stock breach plug will have misfires even using the primers they recommend which also makes a difference when using blackthorn.

my buddy and i just got the muzzies dialed in last night after work. I took the gun home, cleaned it and then loaded it with 100 grains and a sabot that was previously removed from the gun at the end of last year and burried that sabot into a steep bank. It is now loaded with the load that i sighted in with incase i want to use it this weekend, and will remain loaded until either my wife or i get an opportunity to drop the hammer during late muzzy.

dirty guns shoot more consistant IME:)

Top Bottom