Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Should I stay or should I go....

stunmags

So wife and I currently live in SE Wis. I am a retired school teacher (25+ years)and now just trade stocks for about an hour each day and do well at it. Wife retired from teaching as well (20 years) and now works for a company and works strictly remote from home. Our plan was to wait roughly 3-5 years and then move to IA. I have hunted Iowa several time, just love the country life, the people, and I even joined IBA to help keep Iowa great!!! (BTW, t-shirt idea???...lol) I had enough of public land hunters, skyrocketing lease prices, and how the dnr regulates our deer herd and cares more about bringing in revenue instead of deer structure. However my wife just said to me the other day about moving much sooner, selling our home and buying a house that needs a little work with land that hasn't had much done to it with having to borrow very little money if any at all. Then improve the house and property and once interest rates come down to a more reasonable level, sell it and buy something bigger. Part of me says heck yes LET'S GOOOO and the other part of me is just to wait for rates to come down and buy a bigger piece right away. So everyone, all thoughts/ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. FIRE AWAY.......PLEASE!!!!!!!!

And yes Skip, I already know your answer from listening to your podcasts with Jake.....Don't wait.....lol

Ha!!!! GO!!!!!!! Don’t wait. MOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!
Here’s why though: U have all the pieces in ur life set up to move. Prices & interest rates are a minor part of that puzzle.
Low or high prices are ALWAYS a double edged sword as well IF you are going to be both a seller and buyer.
Don’t wait for the market when dominoes are set up right for life. GO!!!!!
Sorry im so on the fence with my comments ;). One vote for moving fast & not giving it second thought.

I would go also for several reasons:

1. the rates might not come down for awhile
2. if they come down sooner, you can always refi, no big deal
3. Do what makes you happy and if you can do it now with minimal sacrifice, go for it.

Good luck on the decision.
Kratz

Hey Everyone,

Thanks so much for the advice. All the advice you gave me I 100% agree with and maybe I just needed to hear it from others. Update: I spoke to my realtor (a friend of mine and I taught all of his kids…lol). and told him my plans. He was excited, told me the real estate market in our area is really strong so it shouldn’t be a problem whatsoever to sell my current home quickly. I will keep everyone updated on my journey and thanks for the butt kicking I needed. Hope you all have a great one.

Go. Everyone else is waiting for rates to go down as well, so waiting may not be advantageous. Seeing as you guys aren't tied to one place you can buy a very good property an hour away from big cities where prices are much lower. You guys have an advantage over most people who are limited by jobs or commute times.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

So wife and I currently live in SE Wis. I am a retired school teacher (25+ years)and now just trade stocks for about an hour each day and do well at it. Wife retired from teaching as well (20 years) and now works for a company and works strictly remote from home. Our plan was to wait roughly 3-5 years and then move to IA. I have hunted Iowa several time, just love the country life, the people, and I even joined IBA to help keep Iowa great!!! (BTW, t-shirt idea???...lol) I had enough of public land hunters, skyrocketing lease prices, and how the dnr regulates our deer herd and cares more about bringing in revenue instead of deer structure. However my wife just said to me the other day about moving much sooner, selling our home and buying a house that needs a little work with land that hasn't had much done to it with having to borrow very little money if any at all. Then improve the house and property and once interest rates come down to a more reasonable level, sell it and buy something bigger. Part of me says heck yes LET'S GOOOO and the other part of me is just to wait for rates to come down and buy a bigger piece right away. So everyone, all thoughts/ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. FIRE AWAY.......PLEASE!!!!!!!!

And yes Skip, I already know your answer from listening to your podcasts with Jake.....Don't wait.....lol
It depends. Are you a couple of retired 'public' school teachers, and did you vote for Biden in 2020? ;)

LOL....We did teach in the public sector, but were hated for our views. They kept asking us to be a part of the teachers' union. I asked them to show me where every penny goes to my union dues and if any of my dues go to the union presidents' 250k salary who does absolutely nothing, to go pound sand. They couldn't answer that question. Then when I replied, "you know my wife and I both vote red across the board", they totally left us alone.....lmao!!!! Why do you think I want to move to IA?!?!?!

LOL....We did teach in the public sector, but were hated for our views. They kept asking us to be a part of the teachers' union. I asked them to show me where every penny goes to my union dues and if any of my dues go to the union presidents' 250k salary who does absolutely nothing, to go pound sand. They couldn't answer that question. Then when I replied, "you know my wife and I both vote red across the board", they totally left us alone.....lmao!!!! Why do you think I want to move to IA?!?!?!
You're more than welcome in Iowa any time brother!

I saw the title and a jingle popped into my mind. Right here…. Let’s see if this answers the question?!?!? I’ll listen…. Yep- it does!!! “If I go there will be trouble, if I stay it will be double”!!!! There’s your answer, right in the song!!!! I assume they are talking/singing about interest rates & hunting regulations of various states.

Im in the Same boat as you and decided Im not waiting and life is short and this crooked Government of ours is only gunna get worse. I dont have a wife or kids
and I dont see rates coming down soon. So after contemplating how fast life goes, Im selling my home now and looking for land, but wanting to find a partner/friend to do it with.

Im in the Same boat as you and decided Im not waiting and life is short and this crooked Government of ours is only gunna get worse. I dont have a wife or kids
and I dont see rates coming down soon. So after contemplating how fast life goes, Im selling my home now and looking for land, but wanting to find a partner/friend to do it with.
As we speak, wife and I are repairing rooms, throwing out/selling stuff we don’t need, etc to make our house ready to go to hit the market as soon as we find something. Tomorrow I am also talking to a local Iowa bank in the area I am looking to buy in order to get a loan pre-approved. Just trying to get all of our ducks in a row and ready to go so when the right farm comes available, we can hit the ground running. GL to you!!!!!

As we speak, wife and I are repairing rooms, throwing out/selling stuff we don’t need, etc to make our house ready to go to hit the market as soon as we find something. Tomorrow I am also talking to a local Iowa bank in the area I am looking to buy in order to get a loan pre-approved. Just trying to get all of our ducks in a row and ready to go so when the right farm comes available, we can hit the ground running. GL to you!!!!!
LOL, I as well have been doing this!! I have sold a bunch of stuff on Marketplace and I found banks are alot different to talk to than farmer banking, only cause they have different structures and expectations.

Well I wanted to give an update since I posted this....we have an accepted offer on a 40 acre farm with home in Iowa and as of last night, we accepted an offer on our home. If all goes well, we should be done with everything by the end of July. This has been a 20 year dream that is finally becoming a reality. Now I have already started the process on setting up a private forester to give me a timber tax basis on the farm to find its real value. I have also started doing research on tractors and implements that I will need (thank you Skip for help on the two previous items....Can't thank you enough) Now my wife just added that she wants to get a Ranger Crew utv so when people visit, we can take them around the neighborhood, etc. lol Now we are starting the daunting task of packing up the house. I will definitely be busy for the next several months. I wanted to also say thank you for all the replies and advice. That is what makes Iowawhitetail the best our there. Ready or not Iowa, here we come!!!!

My 2 cents! From a guy who moved here in 2020. I had purchased 80 acres in 2018 and moved feb of 2020. I unfortunately was forced to sell my " forever " farm in a divorce this yr ! And i was struggling with buying a new farm now or "waiting for prices and interest rates" to come down. Well.. i bit the bullet and bought another farm right away . Paid top market value for it in july of this yr and am already liking my decision!!!! One i get to use/ hunt this yr plus i can already see prices rising above what i paid! Are they going to come down??? Idk ? But in my experience over past 20 yrs owning 4 different farms in 2 states the phrase snooze and you loose seems true !!!! Buy something you like and enjoy ! You can always sell and upgrade!!! My 2 cents!!

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom