Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Shrubs?

I'm doing a Screen with cedars this spring and would like to put some shrubs in for deer and help screen also. What would be some good shrubs? Thanks.

High bush cranberry, wild plum, red osier dogwood are all good ones in my opinion. Ninebark, is another good one.

Deer "prune" my plums pretty bad. I've got a couple plum thickets doing OK but I've also got a LOT of little "bonsai" prune plants that are years old & still 2 feet tall. Ninebark is pretty much plant it, ignore it & it does great for me. Honeysuckle does well with neglect also, but some varieties can get pretty invasive.

Gray dogwoods r excellent. Pry been my most successful of dogwoods. Followed by silky and then redosier
Like above, I do high bush, ninebark, plum, choke cherry, Hazelnut (really like it!!!), arrowood, etc. I personally would experiement - say u did 1,000 one spring - variety- fill gaps following yr of species that didn't live and buy more of ones u had success with. It'll be apparent after possibly just one season. Maybe 2. More the better so deer or whatevER doesnt ravage things.

Skip, did you start your hazelnuts on your own? My dad has a bunch on his property but mine next door has none. Was wondering how well they transplant

I did transplant and deer were hard on em so need to do a lot, no doubt. If your dad's place has em on, they obviously can flourish and you have the correct environment for them. I'd play the #'s game and do a lot, I'd try seeds and transplant and see how they go. Great shrubs, I love em & so do the critters.

Nanking cherry grew like bandits but VERY short lived on my home place (central IA). Just when I was getting really impressed with them they started dying off. Very few lasted longer than 5 years.

I've done alright with nanking, this one flowering below is around quarter century old, also some other shrubs in that photo.
Nanking-Cherry-Flowering.jpg

If I was planting a natural line and dug up suckers, probably fill it in with things like plum, dogwood, hazelnut, prickly ash, nannybery and sumac.

Top Bottom