Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Sick or old?

One of the oldest deer I've probably ever seen on trail camera. Look how grey and white his face is. Saggy skin on the neck. Back bone showing

Many of us would look the same if we only had 2 weeks every year to get it on with every woman walking.

I'm gonna agree with old balls. Just can't keep up with the young whippersnappers anymore.

Interesting. Several years ago I saw a buck on my farm that looked an awful lot like this one. He actually walked right underneath me and I was watching him for probably 20 minutes, almost the whole time through my binos. So I had a really good look at him.

I attributed it just to old age, but who knows for sure. I didn't attempt a shot at him because his rack was not that big, but I later wished I would have taken him because he would most likely be the oldest deer I shot by probably 2-4 years.

Don't know for sure but have a doe here that looks the same way. Been like that for several months. Once the teeth are wore down they get very little nutrition.

The rut can be really hard on certain bucks. He definitely look old to me as well.

Before and after of a 5 year old that I had alot of history with. This was him in September last year and then in late November. What a toll the rut takes on some bucks.

picture.php

picture.php

Not sure myself. I shot a buck that looked worse than him last year during shotgun season. Had pics of him in late october and looked totally healthy. He had a slug hole through his front shoulder and huge hole in rib cage from first season I assume. Would have scored around 185 typical but broke off part of main beam that did not calcify. Always wondered what made him that sick looking. Side effect of ehd survival?

Top Bottom