Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Slate call care

bushman

Just wonder what you guys do to condition and take care of your slate calls and strikers. Thanks in advance for the help.

I am curious as well. Has anyone ever got out to the blind, attempt to strike... and NOTHING. Too cold? Too much moisture in the air? Got me???

Here's a few tips I do to take care of my slates. I carry my slates in small tupperware containers to keep them away from the weather. I wrap the call with the small bubble wrap to protect the call and take away the rattle when walking.

Another tip only condition/use the same half of your slate all the time. When you lay the edge of your hand on the slate small amounts of oil can get on your slate so it's better to call off the same area and consistantly rest on the other side.

When cleaning the tips of your strikers litely scrape the "glaze" off with a knife rather than rubbing the tips on your 3M pads. Bill Ziering who makes the famous Cody turkey calls told me to do this because he claimed the grit in the pads will get into the pores in the wood and cause it to skip rather than grab.

Hope these help.

AGS

on slate, i use a small brillow pad, most calls you buy come with this. and i lightly re-surface the call in order to get it opperable again. i also use a light grit sand paper to re-condition strikers, i hold the striker in my fingers, and at an angle i brush the sand paper against the tip while rotating the striker.

i do this same process every time i sit down! it is necessary to get a good sound out of the call!

Top Bottom