Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Slug ballistics

Fishbonker

Life Member
I'm geting my slug gun cleaned by a gunsmith and I plan to rezero the Propoint. I use Federal Preimium Sabot Slug, 2 3/4 in. 1oz. According to Federal's Ballistics tables their tests were done with a 30in barrel. My Mossberg has a 28in barrel (I think). How does that change the tables? Their scope was mounted 1.5" above the bore line, what does higher or lower scope heights cause? Is 1.5" the standard for scope mounting? I want to sight it in at 50 yds and hold high at 100. Their tests were done with a zero at 100 yds. Here are their numbers 25 yds +1.6 50 yds +2.5 75 Yds +2.0 100 yds 0 125 yds -3.8. From those numbers if I zero at 50 yds how high will I have to hold at 100 yds? It appears that it drops 6.3" from 50 -125 yds. If I divide 6.3 by 3 I get 2.1 which to my way of thinking means the slug will drop 2.1" every 25 yards. So if I hold 4.2" high at 100 yds (assuming 50yd zero) I should be right on, assuming a linear decay in trajectory. Lots 'O nubers if anybody has an easier way to figure it out let me know.

The 'Bonker

Some times the voice of common sense is the hardest to listen to. Thanks Bowmaker.

What I was after is a way to see if my gun matches their predictions and to see if I could figure out the performance before I started putting plastic wrapped lead through the barrel. Doesn't really matter does it? The numbers that is. As long as you know the limitations of your load and gun by practice.

The 'Bonker

Forget all the numbers and just shoot the gun. Use 50 yards as your 0 and then shoot at 75, 100, and 125 yards. Then you will know and not have to guess. The deer deserve it!

One thing I did was to try a couple different brands of slugs to see which grouped the best. Then when I found which ones suited my gun the best I bought a few more and sighted it in. Ballistic tables help, but it all comes down to which shoots the best out of your particular gun.

Mark

Top Bottom