Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Slug help

gundog870

Premium Platinum Member
UMMMM... welll. i never thought i would need to ask this... But my grandpa wants to go deer hunting this year, and i am pretty excited about it. I have never slug hunted and I will be using my muzzleloader. Also we will be just sitting and waiting. I suppose. Just the two of us but it should be a great opportunity to spend some quality time together. But What I was wondering was. I dont know what Grandpa has for his gun. probably his model twelve or and older moss. but I would like to have me 870 for backup incase we need it. I am gunna go buy some slugs and shoot them on wed probably, and wanted to know what to get. Its a 26 inch smooth barrel. I just need it narrowed down to a few. I know I will not be shooting good groups or anything. I just need a 50 yard killer. Thanks for any input. I assume I need a improved or mod chok in also?? i have never done this so I have no clue.

I used to shoot smooth bore and always used Winchester. I killed alot of deer with them. They were good out to 75 yrds however it never failed that the deer were getting farther away. I used to buy them at Mills Fleet Farm for $1.99 per box. I think they are $2.49 now, but don't quote me on that.

I switched to a rifled barrel and still shoot winchester, only the sabots now and at $14.99 per box. The cost per pound of venison has sure gone up!

Good luck to you and your Grandpa!

Out of our smooth bore slug guns we used to shoot the cheapest slugs around, Brenneke(sp?) Rottweilers. They didn't shoot real accurate and we do all still hunting like bowhunting so we switched to all MLs. Did get to kill some deer with the Rotts and inside 50yds like ya say they are real good, put the deer down quick too.

Use Federals but you want to use an open choke, skeet choke if you have one. My 20 gauge shoots a great group at 50 yds.

For the best suggestions, even though your should (and wallet) don't want to hear it...You should buy a variety and see what works best with your gun.

If I had a chance to share a hunt with my Grandpa, I could care less about getting shot...besides you know them old-timers are, one shot=one kill.

Take advantage of your time together, and don't forget the video camera.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turtL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For the best suggestions, even though your should (and wallet) don't want to hear it...You should buy a variety and see what works best with your gun.

If I had a chance to share a hunt with my Grandpa, I could care less about getting shot...besides you know them old-timers are, one shot=one kill.

Take advantage of your time together, and don't forget the video camera.</div></div>

You couldnt say it better. I could car less. Taking the same approach as youth season. Whack and stack. More importantly, have a good time. I think he as excited as it am.!! I just like to be prepared.

I'm shooting the cheapo Winchester rifled slugs out of my smooth bore 870. They should be about $8 w/ tax for a box of 15 at your local Wally World.

My 870 hated Remington slugs. I've had the best groups with the Winchester's. I'm good out to about 75 yards with iron sights.

It sounds like you got it pretty well figured out, but I'll give you my 2 cents worth. Up until this year I have always hunted deer with a Remington 870 Wingmaster. I too have a 26" smooth bore bird barrel. You need to shoot as open a choke as you have, either, improved cylinder or skeet. I bought 4 different brands, Remington, Federal, Winchester top end and Winchester cheapos. The Federals worked best through my 870. My brother and another friend also shoot Federals through their 870's. Now I bow hunt and muzzleloader hunt, but will be out to slay a doe during second season shotgun, but probably with the smoke pole. Good Luck and have a great time with your Grandpa. Hope this helps.

spent the last few days with the gparents and granpa is pumped i think. he's been driving around checking things out!! we even got a game plann this week. i m excited

I haven't slug hunted in years but when I did it was with an 870 Wingmaster smooth barrel. I seemed to have the most luck with Winchester el cheapo's as others have mentioned. If I were in your position, I'd be doing the same thing, using the muzzleloader.

Top Bottom