Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Smoke Pole Buck

waitn4rut

I got this guy with the smoke pole last Saturday. I went to a spot that I have stayed out of all year and usually only go to when I'm desperet. I was laying on the ground under a cedar tree in the sniper position. I was set up 80 yards off of a CRP bedding area and heard a deer walking up the ridge behind me headed straight my way. I heard it step out 20 yards away into the clearing but I couldn't see because there was a branch in the way. So I sit there for at least 10 minutes and still nothing. All the sudden I heard it start to walk towards me and all I could see was antlers over the top of this branch. Trying not to panic I was just froze in that position as he was headed to me. Now hes only 2 feet off the end of my barrel and it was pointed underneath him. I could smell the urine coming off of him. I knew that if he kept going by I would never see him again because he would go around another bush. At that point I have never been so frustrated in my life. He walked around the corner and I think he got alittle wind of me. Now hes back to standing 2 feet away from me. Then he walked out away from he about 15 yards so I tried to raise my gun but my bipod was bound up in the grass. He heard me move and took off running wide open with me following him with my crosshairs. He made the mistake of stopping at about 100 yards and I put it to him. He ran about 40 yards (ofcoarse down a mountain) and piled up. My best gun deer ever and am real happy with him. 21 inches inside. To bad hes got a broken off inside point. Oh well.

Sorry about the bad pic. Didn't have the digital camera with me.
scan0001.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tlambert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">great buck </div></div>

Great Buck Travis!!!
Cool story as well. "I could smell the urine on him". You know you are close when that happens :). Not many people on this planet have gotten that close to nature.

Top Bottom