Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Smoker Opinions

Hey guys, wife is giving the green light on upgrading a smoker/grill. Currently have Traeger Junior and wanting something bigger for more capacity. Probably looking to stay with pellets for ease (although I do prefer a lump charcoal/wood chunk or stick burner for taste). Under $1,000, probably in the $500-700 range. Would love thicker gauge metal and USA made, but that gets out of the range quick.

What do you all have and recommend?

I have a GMG Daniel Boone. I think it’s a 2013 model with zero issues. My Dad runs the GMG Jim Bowie and loves the two he has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I purchased a Camp Chef for my son 5 years ago and then one for my gal's son and one for myself a couple years ago. the one nice feature is the ash clean out. No issues fron any of the three. We all added the insulation blanket for cooking in the winter.

You can make a cheap temperature controller for a wood/ charcoal smoker. It works pretty well at holding temp, however you do have to reload fuel every 4 hours or so depending on firebox size.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

You asked for American made, heavy steel and not the pop can thickness steel on most pellet grills then consider the Yoder 640 model. Ten gauge steel and weight 330 lbs but the cost might make you stutter! Buy once cry once.
Now will the Yoder make better food…… nope with any pellet grill the controller is a very important feature. Yoders are controlled by FireBoard. I bought mine in July 2021 during the Biden’s shutting down of America but luckily found one in Lincoln Nebraska and made a good drive there to get it.
The 640 has nice features that my old GMG and RecJunk didn’t have. I’ve heard Scheels in Des Moines is now a dealer and worth looking at. Happy shopping
IMG_6635.jpeg

IMG_6636.jpeg

I have a variety of smokers in the shed, most recent addition is a Z Grill We haven't had it long enough to really test it out, done ok so far. First pellet grill I've had and find that very convenient. Set the temp, stab a probe into the meat and let'r rip.

I've got a LP gas IR cooker/smoker that does a decent job, but cooks too fast. Full chicken is done in an hour on the lowest setting.

I had a charcoal smoker that I converted to electric, that system worked pretty well but was one of the small upright smokers so it didn't hold much.

Have a large smoker with the attached firebox, temp is all over the place with that system, might need to look into a controller.

I've been hearing that I need to Craigslist all but one.......

You asked for American made, heavy steel and not the pop can thickness steel on most pellet grills then consider the Yoder 640 model. Ten gauge steel and weight 330 lbs but the cost might make you stutter! Buy once cry once.
Now will the Yoder make better food…… nope with any pellet grill the controller is a very important feature. Yoders are controlled by FireBoard. I bought mine in July 2021 during the Biden’s shutting down of America but luckily found one in Lincoln Nebraska and made a good drive there to get it.
The 640 has nice features that my old GMG and RecJunk didn’t have. I’ve heard Scheels in Des Moines is now a dealer and worth looking at. Happy shopping
View attachment 125237

View attachment 125238
Just curious, but what benefits do you see on something like this one vs. a Traeger, Pit Boss, GMG type? Obviously better construction and USA made.

Just curious, but what benefits do you see on something like this one vs. a Traeger, Pit Boss, GMG type? Obviously better construction and USA made.
More that it’s American made and very thick metal. I like that the auger is very short and that the pellets drop into the fire box on the left side of the smoker. Other machines have long augers that push the pellets into the fire box that’s usually in the middle.
The 640 has an adjustable damper for different cooks and with time learning the machine the damper can help to eliminate hot spots. Wide open for smoking and more closed for grilling. The heat diffuser has a removable piece that’s over the fire box for direct flame grilling. I use it every time when reverse searing steaks, burgers and pork chops if I choose.
The brain is ran by FireBoard that has many features that I don’t even use. The probes are very accurate and it’s WiFi that is nice. I’ve had mine up to 700 degrees when reverse searing and the door has buckled some during the heat but always goes back when it’s cooled down.
The downside it only holds 20 lbs of pellets and if not cared for they will rust which drive some people nuts. After two years mine has a little rust in places but it’s only cosmetic.
IMG_6640.png

IMG_6639.jpeg

Top Bottom